Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm trying to replace my cat. Right now, the bolts are rusted solid to the resonator pipe. I'd like to drop the cat, attached to the resonator, then work on them where I can get some leverage.

Is there a trick to remove the rubber hangars from the chassis? I just can't get them off the chassis or the resonator pipe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
if the bolts are rusted alot then ull proly have to grind them off then get new ones. as for the bubber hangars, alittle loob will help u out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's how I did it:

1. Disconnect the pipe from the muffler and the b-pipe.
2. Lube the chassis hook and disconnect the rubber hanger near the muffler.
3. Lube the chassis hangers, push up on the pipe and pull the rubber piece off.

Be careful during step 3 because if you are laying under the car you can't get enough leverage on the pipe to keep it from falling.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice idea to lift the pipe with the jack! I'll probably use that idea when I'm hooking it all back up.

Bought an angle grinder (20$ at Harbor Freight, and 10$ for an extra 10 discs) and went to town on the bolts connecting the cat to the resonator pipe. It was rather uneventful, though I have some findings.

1. You don't need to grind the nut flat to the flange. If you get it within a thread or so, the nut will fall off. I ground some metal off the flange before I discovered this. I'll probably try to level it out later.
2. Wow, that angle grinder cuts fast!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, my next step is to replace the seals.

1. How do I pull off the seals? A punch and a hammer? Pair of pliers?
2. Should I replace the seals? The pipes look rusty enough to make me wonder if I take the old seals off, will I be able to get new seals on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That went back up far easier than it was to take it down. I used 10mmx40 stainless steel bolts, but 10mmx30 probably would have been perfect.

It was a great time to put in those polyurethane shifter bushings that I have had nearly forever, and they went in easy too.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.