Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gettin fed up with it. but i have so much done to it and love my car. heres my problems:

1. Bad tranny which caused:
2. 3rd cylinder misfire; put new plugs n wires and was about to try cap, rotor and dizzy but before i was gonna look at my valves to see if their bent cuz theres a louddd tapping noise. while putting my valve cover back on i busted a bolt holding it on, which i think causes:
3. A HORRIBLE scrapping noise from my engine when reved above about 3 grand.
4. My 3rd cylinder plug wire pops out after the car is running for about 1-2 minutes.. causing oil to leak everywhere and fill up that lil plug wire concaved part.
DEF. NOT SOUNDING LIKE ITS DRIVABLE AT CURRENT MOMENT.
being that i got a job n college i cant exactly not have a car right now.

MY OPTIoNS:
1.Buy a head my buddy got laying around that is..

B18C1
Ferrea .5mm Oversize valves
Ferrea Valve Springs and Retainers
Endyn Port and Polish

i know, i know, u cant go by what it has but i need to check it out but i know NUTHING about it.. what would be a reasonable offer for that tho.

2. Continue to try and fix the many problems that is happening with my head.

3. the dumbest or smartest of all..sell the car as is.
I got so much money into it and i really dont want it but it seems with only 80,000 miles stuff is really starting to add up.

your option would be appreciated.
just dont be a dick about it.
thanks, vince.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
The money you've already dropped into the car can't be gotten back, so there's no use worrying about how much you've spent.

You need to compare the cost of selling the car versus keeping it and maintaining it. It may turn out that buying another car will cost you more in the long run, meaning it would be better to keep your current car.

(FYI: This is basic cost-to-benefit analysis, a core skill learned by most people studying business in college.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see:
(FYI: This is basic cost-to-benefit analysis, a core skill learned by most people studying business in college.)

that was just unnecessary.. no need to make a comment like that. I asked for an option not u trying to be cute. ur the type of ppl who make this forum look bad.
I know what i SHOULD do. but how much of a headache can i take?

anyone with an option - a smartassed remark. would be a appreciated.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Cost-benefit...nice call GSRGuy.

Anyways...try listing it on autotrader or anything...if it has that many problems...you might not get crap for it if you try to sell.

Remember you have to be honest with people buying your car...court isn't cheap either

Anyways...I'd say if you have the money for a new head...and your sure that's going to fix yoru problem, go for that. It'll probabally be cheaper and more rewarding than buying a new car and all that jazz.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im 85% sure its the head.
tapping(think a bent valve)
3rd cylinder misfiring.
loud scrapping noises which seem to be coming from the cams.

id hate to sell my gs-r

might just slap on my buddys head first...see how it runs with it before i accually buy it from him..hows that sound.
dumb question..around how long does it take to switch the head off a b18?

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
vince31324 on Jan/29/06 said:
see:

that was just unnecessary.. no need to make a comment like that. I asked for an option not u trying to be cute. ur the type of ppl who make this forum look bad.
I know what i SHOULD do. but how much of a headache can i take?

anyone with an option - a smartassed remark. would be a appreciated.

My comment was not meant to be belittling.Thanks for taking my advice and twisting it a full 180 degrees, then insulting me

It is a valid approach and probably more effective than someone just saying, "naw dude, just sell that thing."

only you can answer how many headaches you can take.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
why do you think you need to do all that stuff?

I will bet that the misfire is related to the loads of oil you have in cylinder 3. (been there, done that on my car)

before you change anything else you need to figure out WHY the car is running like ****. dont guess. look. if you cant do anything other than guess dont work on the car, take it to someone that can figure it out. it will save you money in the long run and your problems will be fixed.

If i were you i would consider replacing the o shaped gaskets around the spark plug holes in the valve cover. they come with most valve cover gasket kits. If you insist on doing the work yorself, get a helms manual and a torque wrench and all the other tools you need to do the job right (or like i said, dont do it at all).

my $.02, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
if it gives you headaches just to work on the car just take it to a mechanic.if your frustrated on workin on the car just take it to someone who can do the job.it will cost you but at least your car will be up and running.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Right, can't let those sunk costs factor into your decision making process

TheGSRGuy on Jan/29/06 said:
The money you've already dropped into the car can't be gotten back, so there's no use worrying about how much you've spent.
I agree Dan completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.