Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed skunk2 stage 2 cams w/valve springs, retainers, and cam gears, and have encountered a problem. when my car hits vtec it kinda jerks and the acceleration decreases a lot, or even stops. im thinking it either really needs to be tuned, which is going to be done shortly, or its something else and i dont know what it is. it has the stock compression as of right now, but i advanced the intake timing according to what one of the articles said to re-gain some lost cylinder pressure until i have $$ for 11:1 compression pistons, which also will be on the car in the very near future. any help is appreciated, thanks.

also, does anybody know of any 2.5 inch exhaust systems besides the ones in the exhaust purchasing guide? i have searched and searched and searched, and come up with nothing.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
What's wrong with the 2.5" exhaust systems in the article? I don't know of any other off-hand unless you went the custom route, which is always an option.

What type of tuning have you done with the new cams?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was just wondering if there were any, i haven't found any prices on the ones in the exhaust guide but im assuming they are pretty expensive, but i've already spent mucho money on my car so why not spend more. the only tuning ive done so far is advance the intake timing 2 degrees. im getting the hondata s100 in a couple weeks too.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
are you sure you put the cams in right at TDC ?

(which springs, cam gear settings, VTEC switchover, injectors, ignition advance, and have you fuel tuned?)

2.5 in. magnaflow aluminized steel is relatively affordable. you're not going to find an equivalent APC/Toucan/OBX/OoBOMBEDOUToO/ xxGhEtToxx cheapo 2.5 in. exhaust because the people who need a 2.5 in. sizing are serious about their performance .

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
When I put my skunk2 stage 1's in, it kind of did that. Didn't really jerk, but you could feel like a "pop" right before vtec. Ended up being the power dropping off dramatically then jumping up at the switchover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i intalled the cams i did make sure that they were at tdc. i really doubt the install was screwed because me and my mechanic took almost 2 weeks to do the install and we made sure everything was done perfectly right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one problem we did encounter was that after everything was installed, the little bolts on one of the cam gears were tight, but not tight enough. so when i started the car the timing got thrown way off. we probably should have checked them, but you assume that they would be tightened from the manufacturer and the other cam gear was perfectly fine. after that happened we pulled the valve cover off to make sure everything was okay, and it was, and then reset the timing back and made sure everything was at TDC.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
2 weeks! was he devoting all this time to your cam install or jumping back and forth between multiple work orders? if his concentration was broken and he had to go back and forth to do your cam install, there's no guarantee that the time spent before you got your engine back correlates with the level of care and attention needed to do a proper install.

it shouldn't take more than 12 hr. to do it "properly" and that's including degreeing the cams and inspecting all the clearances, cam journal orientation and torque down, timing belt/cam gears installed, LMA's, valve/valvespring installed heights, and valve lash adjustments.

the only who knows if they are really at TDC is the installer and he can only know if they were put in at true TDC by degreeing the cams.

using the stock cam gear markings (3 and 9 o'clock marks and arrows up) are ok but if you have aftermarket cam gears you can't rely on using their markings as an indication of whether they are truly at TDC (as any Skunk2 cam gear owner can tell you).

BTW did you advance the cam gears at all and by how much ? are you using a thinner head gasket or milled head or decked block (how much)? are you using oversized valves?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we were workin on it for only about 2 hours a day, we weren't workin on it all day every day lol. it did take about 12 or so hours. anyways, i didn't advance the cam gears, my mechanic said he advanced the timing about 4 degrees or so when he was checking/adjusting the valve clearances i think. he might have done it another way but im not sure. he told me if i advanced the intake timing any more then i might have too much cylinder pressure. as far as a thinner head gaskek, milled head, or oversized valves, no i dont have any of those.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
seems like a lot of people are going with the sk2stg2's lately...

another note to throw in... about the 11:1 CR you mentioned you wanted to run. we recently had this thread about sk2stg2 cams and what static compression ratio you should run to get optimal dynamic compression and maximum performance from that perticular setup. just something to consider.

definitely have your mechanic double check whats going on in there asap. you are better safe than sorry. he'll actually appreciate you bringing it back to him so he won't have to rebuild/buy you a new motor if something major goes wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*correction* im not sure how he advanced the intake timing, but he said he advanced it about 4 degrees and that would most likely be enough. he wasn't goin back in forth during the install cause he only worked on it when i was there because he was teaching me how to do it, and he kept stressing keeping the cams at TDC, and i saw him doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.