Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought I'd put this up for the people that don't already know.

The later Gen 3's came with a rubber strip in the rear fenderwell

these are the reason that you see civics and integras with rust in the EXACT same spot on the rear wheel well. Those little strips make a perfect spot for dirt water and salt (for those of us that deal with that) to collect and eat your car.

I suggested that you remove these strips to save your fenders, theres even body shops that remove these strips when they find them on customers cars. Just so you know what it looks like after it looks fine and they don't leave any residue behind.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
good idea...luckily the teg that lacks, i mean, my 94 LS, didn't include them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
great advice Tony!
When I bought my G3 about 4 months ago...I was looking at those rubber fender trims, and I noticed that they weren't fitting very well in some places. I took them off to investigate, and found that inside of the rubber exterior is a metal strip, helping it keep its shape I guess. Anyway, there was a crack or two in the rubber, and the metal strip was exposed and had begun to rust. The rust on the trim probably would have loved to jump onto fender, had I not taken them off.

Word to the wise :)

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hhmm since honda started putting these on from 95+(I think) and up. I bet they are on the RSX's also

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
That doesn't prevent rust, it'll slow it down though.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tim on Sep/19/02 said:
you took 'em off yourself?
yeah just pull, they aren't attched with anything.

LEN thats just the light reflecting, its another teg in my apt garage, its in the first pic also but a diff spot

·
Registered
455 Posts
on my passenger rear side fender lip i can see paint chipping pretty bad and i didn;t see any rust.
Is there a possibility that rust will form and is there any thing to prevent it...like a another coat of paint on the chipping paint or somethin?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tim on Sep/20/02 said:
so it will or won't help rust prevention by removing those things?
It will, when your driving around look at the rear wells of other tegs and civic.you'll see rust in the same spot on some of them. Back wheel well right by the bumper. If you were to check the strips on them the rust most likely started under the strips.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ok, just asking bc of the other post saying they are to protect rust, and i already took them off, really easy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
removing these will help to prevent rust, because salt, and other road chemicals that eat away at paint and metal do not get trapped in that spot with the rubber taken out. TAKE THEM OUT. oh and btw, it wouldnt hurt to wipe off the top of that lip with a wet cloth once in a while just to get any stubborn stuff off of it.

dont let those rubber things help rust to occur, like what happened to mine... and its a 94 rs. supposedly equipped with a protection package where those strips were put on. not cool.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I am talking about crud getting between the two pieces of sheet metal that are joined together here - look carefully. once junk gets in here it will be very hard to get out and will retain moisture.
Just because all the cars rust here does not mean the cause is the strips. The strips may be there to slow this process down. I don't know for sure. I just know that Honda put them there for a reason and this makes sense. I could be wrong.

I did take them off my CRX and this area was still fine after 10 years. Most of it's life was spent in the southeast - no salt, but plenty of rain.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
I don't have these since I'm a 94, but I'm just curious if we would want to do that in FL since we don't need to deal with salt on the roads etc?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
although I agree with what kelly said in the fact that honda put it there to try and prevent rust it doesnt work imo. Heres a pic of another members wheel well. He had the rubber piece on and it didn't help. So we know these strips dont help to prevent rust, but we do know the aid in creating rust. So I figured they were bad and ripped the bastards off.

rust created with liner on(since removed)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts