Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it would be expensive for the average Joe like myself, however, has anyone bought a Type R to preserve? We all know in 15 years or so, they will be worth a pretty penny with low miles and stock condition. People do this all the time and keep them garage kept, but I have never seen anyone do this with imports. So many sources call the Type R the greatest sports compact car of all time, why haven't we done this yet?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've actually thought about it. But it might be hard to find one in mint oem comdition. I Think it's a good I idea. I think I will keep my LS for as long a I live. If I have kids one day, I want my son to see my first car, lol. That would be cool. Who knows it might be worth something some day. I know good kept type r's might be.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
lol like that commercial where the guy is under the car and he says "Son, one day this will be your car." Then you see a baby's feet out from under the car. I too am planning on keeping my Integra for a LoNG time.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
If someone purchased a new one and never used it, Id consider it a waste. If you use it then your gonna get rock chips or whatever.

It will be hard to find one that has not been touched up or restored in years to come. Theft and misuse plays a big part on the demise of these cars.

I have seen a few for sale that were still in stock/good condition. I say get an R and drive it responsibly. I had my 94 LS restored 2 years ago and she is kept outside and covered. (see pics in link if curious)

·
Registered
52 Posts
word to that bro,but I'll say it's pretty darn hard to keep a car like that garaged,at least for myself. not only the money part but the freaking feeling part of trying to obstain yourself from driving it.. i am not worthy of such a legend, honest truth i'd tare it up baby, i'd juice the heck out of that car,that's what it was bred for

·
Registered
447 Posts
No question, that is what it was bred for. Would you get a RollsRoyce and never be chauffuerred? Would you get a Jeep and never go off road? How could you get a TypeR and never take it to the track or redline it around a corner or hit VTEC in fifth gear?

Let me tell you, you couldn't. IF you NEVER drove it, you might be able to pull it off (might!). But once you're behind the wheel, you will have no choice.

And if you just got it to be garaged, and never driven...then what the hell was the point? In my opinion, all that was accomplished was taking the joy of the Type R away from somebody that would've actually used the thing!

Drive on, folks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm sure honda has one sitting over seas in mint condition. Imagine an olympic runner that lives for running, not being able to run again cause his endorsers want to save him, so that he can keep making money. It would be torture, i think that type r would feel the same way (assuming it had feelings haha)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen to you guys. Come on get a reality check. You all are acting like its an entity that needs to be freed. It's a car people! Stepping back from this fantasy world where cars are our best friends that we mostly live in, think of the value that these will be worth one day.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
They're gonna be extremely valuable is my bet. The imports are the muscle cars of this generation, and look at what the 50's and 60's cars are worth. If you find an oldie in mint shape, its gonna be spendy because everyone felt the same about storing it as "a waste".

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
integrapunk67 on Feb/17/04 said:
They're gonna be extremely valuable is my bet. The imports are the muscle cars of this generation, and look at what the 50's and 60's cars are worth. If you find an oldie in mint shape, its gonna be spendy because everyone felt the same about storing it as "a waste".
Thank you. Exactly. You guys ever watch Barrett Jackson Auto Auction?

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
So you're saying that your opinion is automatically right dave? I'm sorry but if you can see the future with such crystal clearness, you should be out telling people important things instead of wasting your time on cars...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ah, but to store it, you must have optimal conditions. Otherwise, its a waste. covering it in the winter doesn't count.

You have to spend good coin on a climate controlled garage. And that's not a one time investment. You have to pay serious coin just on the bills to keep the climate controlled. Never mind the upkeep on the car itself...granted minimal cost, but it adds up over the thirty years that will be needed to have the value finally START going up.

In some states (MA) there is also excise tax. You HAVE to pay it.

If you are preserving it as an investment, you want insurance.

Nevermind that the thing costs twenty grand.

once you really do the math, you have to already have a serious bank roll to even consider preserving a car. Then you have to apply tens of thousands of dollars for the next THIRTY YEARS...all on a car that you will never drive?

F*#k that. Enjoy every day...and driving a TypeR will add to that enjoyment everyday in a way the LOOKING at it won't do.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JustinKlemgold on Feb/17/04 said:
So you're saying that your opinion is automatically right dave? I'm sorry but if you can see the future with such crystal clearness, you should be out telling people important things instead of wasting your time on cars...
I'm not saying that my idea is automatically correct. I'm sorry if it came off that way, however I find it a bit immature how some users personify a vehicle that much. I understand that a Type R may be fun to drive, however, going back to my original thread, I just wanted to if anyone had preserved one for years to come (thinking of later resale value).

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
"bostongraf" makes an excellent point. After adding up all the expenses, it's guaranteed to be more than the car is worth in 20 years.

Excellent excellent post.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
if i had a lot of money... i would find one and preserve it.... why not. i would just buy two and have one that i get to enjoy... and then one that will be used in a movie 30 years from now and people would be like "OH MY GOD"!!!!... kinda like in Gone in 60 Seconds:)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.