Team Integra Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Love the Folder...Toilet material.

Thanks for hosting that one.
Yeah it's the second one, that is eluding me.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update on this,
The VA state inspectors geve me a rejection sticker on my inspection. Not saying this will happen to you, but these guys were being EXTREMELY anal, as they are always trying to sell me something when I bring in a car for inspection.
Due to the hassles I went to the boneyard and pulled a 88 Civic rack to swap in.

i'll post some pics of Both- the looped rack and valving, and the manual rack install. they'll be uploaded to TI server, so the problems of old hosts going out of business will be a non-issue.

FYI there are essentially two flavors of manual racks:
53040-SH3-A02 on 1988-91 Civic and CRX (non SI)

And

53040-SH3-671 which is on the 1988-91 SI models

I dont have the specs on the turns etc, and how they compare to the DA rack, but I can dig it up in a later post.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Jacksont001 on Jun/19/10 said:
Update on this,
The VA state inspectors geve me a rejection sticker on my inspection. Not saying this will happen to you, but these guys were being EXTREMELY anal, as they are always trying to sell me something when I bring in a car for inspection.
Due to the hassles I went to the boneyard and pulled a 88 Civic rack to swap in.

i'll post some pics of Both- the looped rack and valving, and the manual rack install. they'll be uploaded to TI server, so the problems of old hosts going out of business will be a non-issue.

FYI there are essentially two flavors of manual racks:
53040-SH3-A02 on 1988-91 Civic and CRX (non SI)

And

53040-SH3-671 which is on the 1988-91 SI models

I dont have the specs on the turns etc, and how they compare to the DA rack, but I can dig it up in a later post.
That is way i had to leave the pump in and take the belt off. Even in nc were they dont emissions test 95 and older cars they hassled me about the pump not being connected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh man, when I lived in TX, I ALWAYS bought windshield wiper blades from the place I got my car inspected.

"Hmmm, sounds like you may have a hole in your exhaust."

"Oh, really? Huh. So...I think my windshield wiper blades may be shot. You guys don't happen to sell new ones, do you?"

"Well, looks like that hole is after the cat so it is fine but you may want to get it fixed. Here are your windshield wiper blades, that will be $30."

I know of at least one person over at G2IC who just JB welded his rack instead of looping lines. He's been running it that way for a while with no problems. I guess that would still fail a visual inspection though...

It should be noted that the Quaife Quick Ratio Rack & Pinion kits only work with the non-SI rack (and is 2.83 turns lock to lock)

The Helms states that the Integra overall ratio is 17.6:1 with 3.5 turns lock to lock.

The "manual" CRX rack (non-SI) has an overall ratio of 18.6:1 with 3.8 turns lock to lock.

The SI (which has a variable ratio rack) varies from 18:1-20.4:1 (with a mean ratio of 19.8:1) with 4.1 turns lock to lock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like I will be going with the NoN SI rack. Was planning on the SI rack but whats the point when you cant use the Quaife rack AND there is more turns lock to lock? Thanks for that info.

I never have a problem with my inspection. My lines are cut and not looped. I have my tranny lines looped and they never say anything to me about either. But they do ***** about other little crap but never fail me for it.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Why bother with the Quaife rack? on a Daily Driver 2.83 turns LTL would be a beast in regular two or three point turns maneuvering in parking lots, backing out of the drive way etc.

Okay, as a side note...
If you are doing the manual rack swap (88-91 civic/crx) and using your Integra inner/outer tie rods the wise move would be to strip down the manual rack, clean out the old grease, inspect and reasemble. Some other forums say that they needed to use washers as shims, but this could be a difference in the tub between teg 90-91 (civic 88-91) and 92-93 (civic 92 ->). I will let you know when I install if there was a clearance issue with the 90-91.

Before you begin.... ORDER these parts:
#8 53426-671-003 Pininon Dust seal (you will destroy this taking it out... well I DID.) need 1
# 22 53536-SB2-000 Tie Rod locking washer (another self destructing part during removal) Need 2

# 23 & 24 Dust boots- given the age you will likely need to replace them. inspect for cracks!

#12 53436-SH3-000 CUSHIoN B, STEERING RACK - make sure it comes with the donor rack

Dust seal 53426-671-003 is also on these models:
79 - 85ACCORD
85CIVIC 4WD
81 - 91 CIVIC
84 - 91 CRX
81 - 83 PRELUDE

Lock washer 53536-SB2-000 is also on these models:
Honda
76 - 97ACCORD
73 - 91CIVIC
84 - 91CRX
70 - 72N600
95 - 97 ODYSSEY
79 - 94 PRELUDE
70 - 72Z600

ACURA
97 - 99CL
86 - 93INTEGRA
86 - 90LEGEND
91 - 05NSX

Tie rod boots:
Parts 23 and 24 are NOT identical.
53537-SH3-J00 DUST SEAL B, TIE ROD
53537-SH3-000 DUST SEAL A, TIE ROD (PINIoN SIDE)

Beck/Arnley replacement part number (as an option from your local autoparts store)
103-2683 Right
103-2732 Left

Finally part #12 53436-SH3-000 CUSHIoN B, STEERING RACK (the bushing), needs to be installed INSIDE your current teg bushing

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I was cleaning out the garage today, and I found the printouts from Swedeboy's writeup!
I scanned them and posted them as jpegs, so there is some artifacts in the images.
But hey! not bad for an evenings work eh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We used this method to loop the rack in the '93 Integra we race in the Chumpcar and Lemons series. The rack feels great and we love it. However, the only concern is that we can't keep the system from leaking.

We cut the hardlines and fit tubing over. Maybe we aren't using the correct size tubing. Any suggestions?

I would prefer to just replace the hardlines and fittings, but I'm not sure what sizes fittings to buy.

We've loop the rack using this method on our 93 integra we race in the chumpcar. Feels great, but we cant keep it from leaking. Maybe we aren't using the correct size hose on the hardlines that we trimmed. Any idea what size works best?

Would prefer to just replace everything with barbed fittings. Any idea what sizes we would need and where t get them?

We have a race coming up in a few weeks. Up against it! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's great info.

I did the manual rack swap on both of my DA's using a rack from the '89 CRX Si.

I would guess that using the Civic rack would result in the three minor issues that I ran into as follows:

1. The outer tie-rod end that was on the manual rack didn't fit into the knuckle, lucky enough the Integra outer tie-rod threads onto manual racks inner tie-rod.

2. The manual steering rack body is smaller in diameter than the power one causing the mounting clamp on the passengers side to not hold the rack tight. My solution to this was to put the bushing for the power rack around the busing for the manual rack then hold them both in place while clamping the rack to the body.

3. This one might have been a unique situation to my car, but here it is anyways. on my '91 LS everything went in fine with no problems except the two above, but on my '92 GSR everything seemed to go together fine until I tried to turn the wheels. The bolt head on the u-joint between the steering column and the steering rack was hitting on the body. To fix this I ended up putting washers between the steering rack and the body to angle the shaft down a little more.
It’s an old thread but would it be oossible an 88 crx si rack will fit the DA9

·
Registered
1 Posts
So happy to see people have been able to use my old write up for some good, (I am Swedboy2999) Since I have designed many first releases on commercial aircraft. Worked as an R&D engineer overseas, but just returned to the US after a decade abroad. I actually still have some Integra parts that have been in a shed for ten years. JDM parts, EDM parts, etc. I am building a 1000whp LS6 Tremec T56 twin turbo E30 4 Door now... Oh how the times have changed.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts