Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to replace the drivebelt from the power steering pump. The problem is the upper mounting bolt is broken and the lower rounded. Here are the screenshots below:

1st half of the broken upper mounting bolt (left) , 2nd half of the broken upper mounting bolt (right), and rounded lower mounting bolt (right-most).

I sprayed both bolts with PB blaster and used a 1/2 inch breaker bar to loosen them ; this is the result above. Is there a way to free what's left of the upper bolt and rounded lower bolt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to use a vice grip and various pliers on the rounded lower mounting bolt, but no luck.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Have you tried something like the irwin bolt grip sockets on the rounded bolt head? ive used them before with great results. you can get a set of them for a reasonable price, and maybe once that lower bolt is removed you can remove the pump bracket and use vice grips on the broken stud?

Sockets

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried something like the irwin bolt grip sockets on the rounded bolt head? ive used them before with great results. you can get a set of them for a reasonable price, and maybe once that lower bolt is removed you can remove the pump bracket and use vice grips on the broken stud?

Sockets
I thought about getting those but they were not available in my location. Because I have to get this done today, I'm going to get a bolt extractor set from Harbor Freight or Oreilly's Auto Parts. What do you think of those tools?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well look at that, i didnt know harbor freight had a set of those. I think either one of those would be fine.
I got the rounded lower mounting bolt out using the Harbor Freight's bolt extractor set, even though the bolt is broken just like the upper one. I finally removed the drivebelt by loosening the adjusting bolt so I can begin replacing a new alternator and its drivebelt (after I install the timing belt and water pump). For the power steering pump itself I have to remove both broken mounting bolts. As far as the bolts themselves, when I examined them there were some black sludge around them. I wonder what could it be that caused it. Any ideas? I know I have to change the power steering fluid at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
It could be a couple of different things that i can think of. Slight oil leak either at the p/s pump or valve cover and then just road debris mixing in. Or maybe a similar leak and belt residue from being worn down on the pulley getting mixed in with the oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to replace the drivebelt from the power steering pump. The problem is the upper mounting bolt is broken and the lower rounded. Here are the screenshots below:

View attachment 104980 View attachment 104979 View attachment 104981
1st half of the broken upper mounting bolt (left) , 2nd half of the broken upper mounting bolt (right), and rounded lower mounting bolt (right-most).

I sprayed both bolts with PB blaster and used a 1/2 inch breaker bar to loosen them ; this is the result above. Is there a way to free what's left of the upper bolt and rounded lower bolt?
[/QUOT go to ther wiliding and fix ther they're and u can open thats
S

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take to ther wediling or gass welding and fix that bolt which were broken and baning together and u can open thats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know what's the size and length of these two mounting bolts for power steering pump, even though mines are broken? I'm trying to get alternative ones that match the size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts