Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after driving my bf's civic.. i know having no lsd sucks.. but what i was wondering is.. does anyone know how much power is being distributed(to each wheel) in a non-lsd teggie..

to me it seems my passenger side wheel gets more power.. cuz i can take on left turns better than right corners without having to shift a lot of weight around..

Can fit a factory(itr or sir) lsd into my GsR tranny? or is it more worthwhile to just get a type r tranny.. (even if it is impossible to find)?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
this is a trick that we used to do at the dragstrip to overcome torque steer on the non-LSD cars...we still use it on the LSD cars BTW. You will notice the guys with fast 60 ft times, whether it be on street tires or slicks, using less tire pressure to get a bigger contact patch on the right tire. I don't know the exact numerical torque difference between left vs right but the left wheel is the furthest away from the tranny. The driveshaft lengths are different. The side with the longer driveshaft will generate slightly more torque. It's basic physics...more length, more torque. It'll pull towards the side with the longer driveshaft generating more torque.

So if you don't like torque steer but don't have an LSD, try running a little lower tire pressure (say 1-2 psi compared to the opposite side) on the right side to increase your grip or contact patch size for the tire. The extra grip on the short driveshaft side may compensate for the added bite from more torque on the left side.

It's smart to do this anyway at the track regardless of whether you have an LSD or not .

I'll try to chase down the exact proportion of torque steer if I can...or someone lese here may already know...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can fit a factory(itr or sir) lsd into my GsR tranny? or is it more worthwhile to just get a type r tranny.. (even if it is impossible to find)?
I was also wondering if the LSD assembly from a type r will fit the GSR tranny.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i thought my question would be unanswerable.. i guess all that's left to do is test it out.. scratches head wondering price of a factory lsd.. oh boy.. sounds like fun!! thanks a bunch

doesn't look like i'll be using lsd for drag racing.. cuz drag racing is booring.. this is the kinda information that gets me one step closer to laguna seca.. it would be really interesting to find out the numbers on this "torque steer proportions"... it may even be as useful as knowing that pork and beans sits in tomato sauce..

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah the oval track racing people already know about staggering the size of wheels on one side vs the other to help handling (i.e. less stagger = more understeer, more stagger = more oversteer).

in road racing/autoX you learn more about manipulating tire pressure, wheel size, caster, camber, toe, springs, shock valving, and swaybars to go faster...it's a lot of fun...and not as expensive as trying to hop up an engine for drag racing.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
If I could do it all over again, my first modifications would be suspension and LSD. It's hands down the best bang for the buck. It's not about power; it's about a total package.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Gvtec on Sep/10/02 said:
Yeah, the Eibach Prokit rulz!

It feels like I'm driving on a waterbed.
LOL. don't tell me...Tokico Illuminas too!

but seriously, I want to try this toe out setup to get more oversteer and rotation without beefier springs and swaybars. The Japanese guys who autoX and who are training in Canada tell me they tend to use different wheel sizes (front vs rear) and more front toe out to get the back end to come out slightly as you round a cone like in your sig pic.

that damn polar moment of inertia thing happening again....

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm giving thought on changing my current setup with Skunk2 coilover sleves and Tokico Illuminas, which came with Alyssa. It's got to be better than stock struts with the Prokit; I've got more suspenion flex in my Integra than I do in my 4x4 Tahoe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts