Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post. i have a96 integra that has an antenna problem..the antenna is up but won't go down...i checked my wiring behind the radio and that checked out but it seems to be in order. is there a way to retract the antenna? thank you

·
Registered
417 Posts
Most power antennas have "teeth" that the mechanism uses to retract the antenna. I had to replace my antenna awhile back. I think that it ran me somewhere around 25-30 dollars. It wasn't going up without being pulled up and it didn't retract all the way down.

Get someone to help you try this....

Turn the stereo on and listen to the area of the car where the antenna is housed. If you hear a motor sound when you turn the stereo off, the mast is most likely in need of replacement. If you don't hear the motor at all, it that means that you need to replace the whole mechanism. There really isn't anything at the stereo connection that would cause the antenna to not go up. a stereo shop or the dealer can do the replacement job. dealer will be more expensive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yeah take it off an make sure the retracter part is still connected.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
This happened on my 89 Camaro. It would make a sound but nothing happened. And the damn motor for it never shut off. So instead of having it drain my battery, I snatched up the fuse and threw it out the window. Problem solved. Of course I didn't have a dome light, power locks or anything like that, LOL. Plus I was selling it so I didn't care. Damn domestics.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the response. i do hear the motor running, therefore theres power getting to it (roughly 12.5 vdc). can you actually see the "teeth" that brings the antenna down?

·
Registered
551 Posts
my antenna does the SAME exact thing.. whatever you do DoNT push it down!!! haha....I made that mistake and the motor started making a nasssty sound for a few days then it went back to normal ..

i find it sad when people feel the need to have to APOLOGIZE For posting in the wrong forum also..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i see that theres some teeth on top of the antenna holder thing. thats to hold the antenna motor/antenna, etc still..so are those teeth close to the top of where the antenna comes out. i checked on used prices for antennas and they run 125...sheesh..i may just live with the antenna up if it comes to having to buy one

·
Registered
417 Posts
Your pretty much in the clear. The mast has a plastic "thread." with the teeth running along the length of it. chances are that, being a 6+ year old power mast, retracted who knows how many times over the years, it's had it. 25-30 bucks for a new mast should be right. If the dealer is cool, he might put the replacement in for free.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i've come up with what the possible problem is. i think the things that grab the antenna is broken...the motor sound like its working on cue when i turn off/on the radio.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
tech705 on Sep/05/02 said:
well, I've come up with what the possible problem is. I think the thing that grabs the antenna is broken
You would be refering to the 'Antenna mast drive cable'

·
Registered
698 Posts
i have the same problem. i just took my assembly out last night and took the whole damn thing apart. sounds like your problem is the 'antenna mast drive cable'. i found an entire o.e assembly at www.autozone.com. it runs $49.99 and is a regular stocked item.

p.s. if anyone does decide to take anything apart, DoNT mess with the metal box, it houses a magnetized rotor and is a ***** to put back on. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts