Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a new turbo manifold and before I put it on I was wondering if anyone thinks it could in any way effect performance or anything by having it powdercoated, also do you think that the amount of heat it sees will affect the powdercoating?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The manifold is going to get as hot as the exhaust gas, which is between 900~1400 degrees. The hi-temp powder is rated at 800 degrees, so it wouldn't work out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TurboLSVtecTeg on Feb/19/04 said:
If anything get it jet hot coated. It serves to insulate the manifold. Keeping the heat in the manifold and speeding up the exhaust flow.
do you know of any places that do this and/or how much it would be for the turbo manifold?

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
if you are gonna put anything on the mani, use those cloths kind a thing (no, is not those ghetto heat wrap, is more of cloths like meterial) and wrap it all over... i dunno how you call it, but it isolate heat... people wrap it around their header so their engine bay won't get too hot. believe it or not, you can touch it with your hand... after you did a long run, those meterial is really amazing.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
There are two paint processes that can be done, but both are not readily likely to be in a can.

First, what Dragsource stated was the ceramic coat. That is a high temp Cermaic coat, that can give it a shinier silver finish to it. I used these on turbo compressor covers instead of polishing them to the raw metal due to it dulling a little over time.

The second is a Jet-Hot coat wet application process that is used on manifolds, turbine housings, etc. They NEVER fade and keep the manifold from turning that Rust brown over time. It's best to apply these before getting any heat on them (like fitting it on, and taking it off later to coat) because once the heat starts, and it starts to oxidize.. that's it. Even if you sand blast it down and start again, it may not hold 100%..

Let me know, Ship it to me, and I can see if I get it done for ya..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.