Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to get some tires for my new rims.the rims are 15x6.5.....i have found some potenza's for 85 each, but there 195/50zr15.will that be ok..also i have been reading reveiws on tire.com but how good are these are they worth the cash i am about to dish out for them?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have those on my 97 GSR but in 205/50/15. So far I have had no problems with them and I love them, my car handles great! But, I dont know what thats like compared to stock because when I got my car it had them on it. $85 each sounds like a pretty good deal but be prepared to deal with the wheel gap because the sidewall is lower than stock. You might wanna check out the 205/50/15 size instead, I think they are like $96 each, somewhere around there.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
They are good all-around performance tires. They last long and stick well, probably the best performing tire with a 300 treadwear rating. They aren't the best performing tire out there as far as straight out performance is concerned but if durability is a concern then they definitely are a good choice. They will outperform most all other tires out there excluding the top of the line max performance tires.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SurferX on Aug/19/02 said:
They are good all-around performance tires. They last long and stick well, probably the best performing tire with a 300 treadwear rating. They aren't the best performing tire out there as far as straight out performance is concerned but if durability is a concern then they definitely are a good choice. They will outperform most all other tires out there excluding the top of the line max performance tires.
what tires do you suggest to go with?what tires are you running?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I have RE730's myself right now. It depends what is important to you. Is it okay if your tires need to be changed every year? How much of a concern is wet traction? Tires are good at different things. The RE730 I would say is good at being a sticky tire while still having a long tread life. I'm not 100% satisfied with their performance as my stock RE010 did stick better however the RE010 were more expensive and need to be replaced every year. Falken Azenis are one of the best dry performing tires on the market, they will wear fast but aren't too expensive so it's not a stretch to be able to afford replacing them every year.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i went from the stock tires to the potenza re910 and i love them..for some reason they didnt last long enough for me but they love hangin on in turns and dont scream very much so i love em :) oh and that might suggest why they didnt last to long... i paid like $120 each i believe but i got a deal from my uncle..a set of the re910's 195x50x15 for $220 so i love it :)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I'd take the RE730's over the Kumho 712's anyday. But if price is more of a concern then the Kumho's are a good value.

When selecting tires you really have to put a couple things in order of importance.

Price
Dry traction
Wet traction
Tread life

The "better" tire all depends on how you place those in terms of importance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 730's and they are horrible for noise once the tread starts to wear down. Bridgestone seems to know this and is now selling a spec 2 or version 2 or something along those lines. Other then the noise I love these tires so if that was fixed in the new generation then go for them.

97 gsr

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ok Surfer X ...

I know that we've chatted about this a bit before, but from what you are saying about your RE010's it sounds like I would have to get new tires every year if I go with a set of Potenza S-03 Poleposition's.

They are supposed to be Bridgestones 'demi-god' of Max-performance. What's important to me in a tire ??? ... traction, wet and dry, noise levels, and honestly, treadwear is up there too.

I also am confused as to whether I really want to run the 205/50/15 size on my stock 2001 GSR blades. The S-03's also come in a 195/50/15 and a 205/55/15. It seems like the 205/50/15 would be the best, but I don't know. Also, I think someone, sometime or another said that the 205 series would be way too wide for my stock rim. If I remember right, they said that the S-03 in a 195 series was as wide as other manufacturer's 205 series.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Surfer.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
For the treadwear, the S-03 are much better than the RE010. The S-03 have a 220 treadwear while the RE010 which only lasted me a little over a year are rated at 120 for treadwear. You'll get nearly double the treadlife out of the S-03.

Yes the S-03's are super wide, that's the only reason I'm not running them right now on my stock wheels. Some wheel shops won't even install the 205 series S-03 on a 6" wide wheel.

I'd love to suggest the 195/50 for the stock wheels. But sadly the load capacity isn't up to spec and you'll probably be rolling the sidewalls with hard cornering anyway. There just isn't a good available size for the S-03 on a stock tire unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Humn ... ok, well thanks for the straight up reply. I really want those tires though. Man, I guess I could look into some rims (Wow, another can of worms.)

So the S-03's perform better and last longer? If so is it because of the UNI-T AQ technology they are using?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ok, never mind my post above, Surfer. Since I talked to you on chat (unless you want to reply for the benefit of everybody else).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts