Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think im getting a weak spark thats causing the motor to sputter at high rpm--- any ideas on a good spark plug for a turbo GSR---
i ve heard that platinum is too hot any ideas on a plug thats either 2, 3 ,or 4 steps colder???
and about how much are they cost wise--
where to buy?
add any info you like -- thanks in advance everyone--

ive got to get a cool signature......

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Have you pulled out your spark plugs to check them? What do they look like? What plugs are you running right now?

The material isn't what is "hot" you just need a colder range spark plug. The plug number would tell you what heat range it is, each brand does it differently so we can't really tell you exactly what to get. I can tell you though that stock NGK heat rating for GS-R's is 6, one step colder would be 7.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive pulled the plugs after a quick run or two and they stay black for the most part-- right now i am running bosch platinum plus 4--- i though 4 ends would be better--- what so you mean by a colder range???

thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't mean to pick on you 95gsrturbo NOT oNE BIT...I know you have had some serious problems and I have done my best to help you. And I hope you get her going and all is well...

But this guys is a very good reason to MAKE SURE you know what your doing on a install ! It's ok to tell yourself I need HELP ! I can't stress enough that you need to let a EXPERT with turbo installs do this...Hell HELP them sure but let them HELP you too ! A tiny mistake such as this can do some MASSIVE damage ! Be careful and triple check the basics if you have never done this before CALL someone ASK someone....

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before i sound like an ass
I GREATLY APPRECIATE EVERYoNE'S HELP HERE!!!!

Thanks for the pat on the back boost control-i needed the confidence--
here goes some more info on the sputtering roblem----
the spark plugs i am using are as i said before-- Bosch platinum +4 which means they have 4 ends per plug-- YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE GAP-- they are pre gapped---and they are platinum - so stock temp here-- GSR factory plugs are NGK platinum

2)Plugs are black because i have had the car professionally tuned by one of the best tuners in the southeast Ed Senf--we decided to tune it a bit rich intentionally to be a bit safer-- on a wideband O2 it stays below 12.4 -- people come from different states to see this guy-- he has tuned every management system you can name and some that youve never even heard of--
once the car was tuned it RAN GRRREEEEAAAT--- but my problem was a leak in the injectors-- once i fixed the air leak th sputter began-- most likely because i now have more fuel than i did on the dyno.

timing is retarded a bit (sits at 12 i think) via distributer to compensate for boost.

3) As well my dip stick keeps melting bcause the rubber that keeps it in the holster sits right on the manifold--- this meling of the dip stick rubber allows air into the oil pan causing some vac issue-- this also causes sputter..... borrowed a friends dip stick and everything was fine. also tried bending the holster back a bit to get it off the manifold but it wont move based on Greddy's crappy design.

I know what the problems are and so do all the shops in my area--- fact is no one knows how to solve them.

again as before any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
These are my thoughts.

1. Get new plugs with proper heat range and gap for your setup.

2. It sounds like you know the cause and how to fix it so re-tune now that you have all injectors working. The boost tuning methods your guy uses sounds alot like what Import Builders does here so everything sounds good.

3. Haven't heard of that one, not much to say but that sucks. All I can think of is changing the length of the dipstick holder and custom fabricating a dipstick to stay the correct length.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I said in my post before...

"I don't mean to pick on you 95gsrturbo NOT oNE BIT...I know you have had some serious problems and I have done my best to help you. And I hope you get her going and all is well..."

Had you mentioned the plugs and Tuned by a pro in our chat ! All you said is that you did the install. I could have maybe responded with a better suggestion. I am not perfect ! I can only help with whatever the info is you give me. But let's stick to your problem.....

It all makes sense now...once you fixed your injector problem you are now getting to much fuel. Have you taken it back to your tuner and put it back on the dyno to RE-TUNE now that the fuel leak is fixed ? A must is to run "Cooler" plugs ! Your best attack will be RE-TUNE with a Wideband O2 ! Your high heat and sputtering is more than likely too much fuel and timing ! Hopefully this solves the problem...And hopefully there is no damage to any internal parts.

Good luck and let us know how she turns out !

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to your reply boost-- i was just messing around when i snapped back-- take it easy-- i said i appreciated all the help---
do you recommend i leave it as it is without tuning and just drive under boost for a while until i get all problems solved AND THEN get it retuned--- the reason i say this is because i am thinking of doing a cuople things before i take it back--
1) plugs
2) ignition system with boost timing retard
3) cam gears--- (let me know if i need these with #2 or just use #2 above)
4) extra bleed off valve besides current map sensor check valve
5)egt guage and oil press guage---
6) more fuel (370cc injectors and an inline fuel pump as well as the intank)

or is this over kill-- should i save all that money and just with a hondata or other pms

thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you add all that you may make it worse or never know what caused the problem in the first place !

A must is cooler plugs !
You may follow what those guys tried in that Thread I posted if it pertains to your problems. How about a new rotor and cap and wires and cooler plugs and a visit to the Dyno ? Far cheaper than your list...Are you throwing any CEL's ?

When you add any major and sometimes minor parts that include giving more A/F or Igintion...Your going to HAVE to visit the Dyno everytime...If it affects you Air Fuel ratio...You have to Dyno again !

That's why you hear us FI Turbo guys say...:
Tune ,Tune, Tune, AND TUNE AGAIN ! It's the key !

·
Registered
166 Posts
NGK BCPR7 its a colder plug, gap it to .030 and you'll be fine! Bosch plugs are made for German cars not Japanese. I've seen in some cases Bosch plats set a misfire code!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
onePoInT8T on Sep/12/02 said:
buy colder plugs. NGK BCPR7ES-11 Stock #1095. They have a heat range of 7. Try gapping them at .030-.035".
where can i get these-- no local shops like napa, autozone etc... have them -- performance shops???
any ideas
thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts