Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, i was driving and found my check engine light came on. I got home and checked over my engine and everything looked fine, besides a little fluid by the top left screw on my head.
I took off the nut, replaced it with one of my spark plug cover nuts, and screwed it back on. During the tightening, it started to get tight, then "fell" loose. The nut now spins freely (not loose enough to move with my hand) and when I try tighening or loosening it, it doesn't budge (move up or down at all). I suspect the "bolt" that runs through the head stripped. I CANNOT get the damn nut off now. I tried many tools, and the nut is just stuck. The worst thing about this is that I don't even know if that is what caused my "check engine" light to come on in the first place. Now i got 2 problems :(. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

BTW- I don't plan on driving my car until I get this fixed. And that pic of the engine bay isnt actually mine, i got it off a pic of an ebay gsr.

·
Registered
463 Posts
To get the nut off:
- try to wedge a flathead screwdriver between the nut and the valve cover
- while applying the screwdriver wedge, use a socket and ratchet to unscrew the nut
- as the nut moves up it will be easier to lift the nut up with the screwdriver while ratcheting

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aogawa on Mar/10/04 said:
To get the nut off:
- try to wedge a flathead screwdriver between the nut and the valve cover
- while applying the screwdriver wedge, use a socket and ratchet to unscrew the nut
- as the nut moves up it will be easier to lift the nut up with the screwdriver while ratcheting
I tried that. The nut is still in a low enough position that I can't get the head under it. I've even tried one of those super small head screwdrivers for glasses repair. I used the 12 point socket for the 10mm, which I've put a lot of pulling power behind while ratcheting with no movement still. It's like a super badass don't wanna move nut.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
When I stripped a valve cover nut, I ended up getting too f**king pissed at it to really come up with anything too inventive.

So first I chiseled the little cap of the nut to revel the stud, then proceeded to drill the f**ker. I realized that was taking a while, so I just drilled through the side of the nut, then whacked it with a chisel. Replaced the stud, new nut, problem solved.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I guess you might have to bust out the o' dremel and cutting wheel to split that nut in half. Try not to damage the valve cover. You'll probably destroy the nut and stud, but you're gonna replace them anyways so it doesn't matter.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
im sure that did not cause your check engine light to turn on... you do know about the paper clip trick to read your ecu right? there is an article on here about it somewhere on ti.net

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If i did have to replace the stud, would it be necessary to replace the valve cover gasket when I take my head off. (I remember hearing from someone everytime you take the head off, get a new head gasket.)

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
1st jump the ecu code to see what is wrong.

2nd if you take the valve cover off you need a new valve cover gasket. You will not be taking the head off, but if you were you would also need a new headgasket.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Furious94LS on Mar/10/04 said:
1st jump the ecu code to see what is wrong.

2nd if you take the valve cover off you need a new valve cover gasket. You will not be taking the head off, but if you were you would also need a new headgasket.
My bad, I meant valve cover gasket. I'm kinda out of it. I'm not that stupid. I was planning on going to autozone and having them run a diagnosis check on my ecu, it's right by my house and they do it for free.

C'mon, Jesse James goes to autozone. It has to be sweet.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, maybe remove all the bolts on the valve cover and pull up on the entire valve cover while unscrewing the bolt. Cleanliness is essential.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I dremmeled the nut off and ordered a new stud from honda. I went to carquest and got a new valve cover gasket for when I put it back on. I figured I may as well paint it while it's off. What would you suggest using to clean the underside of my valve cover before I put it back on. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
463 Posts
homeslice229 on Mar/10/04 said:
Ok, I dremmeled the nut off and ordered a new stud from honda. I went to carquest and got a new valve cover gasket for when I put it back on. I figured I may as well paint it while it's off. What would you suggest using to clean the underside of my valve cover before I put it back on. Thanks for the help
Glad you got that nut off! Use carb cleaner if you need to clean the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aogawa on Mar/10/04 said:
Quote: homeslice229 on Mar/10/04 Ok, I dremmeled the nut off and ordered a new stud from honda. I went to carquest and got a new valve cover gasket for when I put it back on. I figured I may as well paint it while it's off. What would you suggest using to clean the underside of my valve cover before I put it back on. Thanks for the help Glad you got that nut off! Use carb cleaner if you need to clean the valve cover.
Ok, I will do that. Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts