Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the articles and have a rough idea what to expect from each mod, but I was wondering how much all the mods will compliment each other. I have a b18a with an intake and exhaust, but plan to add Crower 62403 cams, cam gears, port/polish and mill the head 30 thou. What sort of gains can I expect from the total package?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
stock LS is 115 whp on average. What can you "expect" from that shopping list? 145-155 whp...maybe 155...maybe 155. maybe even up to 155 if you are an excellent tuner.

the problem with predicting numbers is that, as you know from reading the articles, power gains depends on having BOTH the correct complementary parts and then tuning the fuel map and ignition map to those combinations. So if you are thinking that it's like putting on an intake and you are done, then you will be disappointed. I don't know of anyone who has made big jumps in power gains with a nice wide powerband go without tuning their maps. Your exhaust system in incomplete big time. So 155 whp is an average estimate based on a person with basic average tuning knowledge and access to a dyno and wideband. Whether you get more or less depends on your tuning ability, how good the porting job was to match the cams needs and if you get a header and high flow cat. If you keep the stock cat and header you are stuffing in more air (with the intake, cams , and headjob) but you've done nothing to improve on getting rid of that extra air after it has been burnt and as we know, burnt gases don't make power if they sit in the cylinder and take up space.

sounds like you have a limited choice. Why are you focusing on the headporting and exhaust?

if I had a choice between spending $800-1000 CDN on an exhaust versus the same total amount on an aftermarket header/cat, I would choose the latter. Your exhaust system will still be choked off and incomplete and not make the big power release but at least you've done something to move the burnt gases out a little better.

If I were you, and that was your budget (for an intake,exhaust, headporting/milling, Crower cams) then I suggest you move to a refitted ITR IM (Leitner & Bush can do it for you) or Slunk2 IM (more expensive), Crower cams and valvesprings, B&M FPR, intake cam gear, 2 layer thinner head gasket (Leitner & Bush can do that for you) , header, cat...it'll get you a little better result (not ideal). You need the cam gear to tune the cam and an FPR to tune the fuel. Yes a fuel controller is one way to tune the fuel map in different areas of the rpm range but it's out of your budget for this year at least from what it sounds. That would be my suggestion...given the usual (non-hookup) retail costs to the parts you listed for your budget.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Michael Delaney on Aug/30/02 said:
In Toronto: Leitner & Bush.

get them to port the LS IM. I would use the thinner head gasket over milling a head since milling is permanent unless you plan to get more CR than a 2 layer can give you.
Is there anyone in the SW or west coast that you recommend?

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
Portflow or Joe Alaniz or DPR are the big names in your area everyone knows about.

I only know Chris who went to Prospeed to have his work done. Another place that no-one knows about is Hayward...apparently they do a lot of race teams...bikes and cars.

A local bike headporter who does racing bike heads is a great choice if you can't locate a big Honda/Acura headporter.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Just out of curiousity MD, what the biggest whp numbers you've seen from an all motor B18B1? I don't mean an LS/VTEC, just a regular ol' non-vtec B18B. Or have you ever even seen somebody seriously attempt an all-motor build up of one of these engine? Thanks.

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
there's a guy with an LS all motor trailer queen in Virginia running 12's et. or was it 11's? Just ask SMSP.

You don't need VTEC to have a race motor with a high powerband. one big fat ass lumpy cam with a ported head, big CR, and big headers....now to get that to be driveable in a daily driver is another story.

I've seen 165-170 whp NA daily driven LS motors fully done out with a heathy CR bottom end and Crower 404's.

So you can have the same power as a GSR with an ITR intake cam, intake ,headers, exhaust. sure...NA....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
MichaelDelaney
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing