Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock LS and my plans are toadd cai, im thinking greddy evo exhaust, header,tru power pullys, throttle body, and some other bolt ons
I guess my questions is what is a good all motor set up and how much tuning is going to be needed. Im only looking for around 200whp or so to keep it a reliable dailt driver.
Thanx for any imput.

ps- if it sounds like i have no idea what im talkin about, its cause i dont :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm not an expert on here but I don't think that just doing bolt-on's will get you to the 200whp mark. I think that you will need to get into the head and possibly the bottom end to get that kind of power from the B18B with and N/A setup. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will take more than bolt-on's. I'm sure that some of the other more knowledgable members will give you more specifics.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah i know ill need more than bolt-ons, thats pretty much what i ment to ask, like what else other than bolt-ons will i need.
thanx

or do you guys think turboing the ls would be better?
i just wan to keep it reliable.
thanx

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
with bolt-ons only? forget it...that was pretty blunt but it's real. I don't mean to discourage you but the reality is you have a lot of things going against getting an all motor 200 whp motor right from the get go...static CR is too low, head doesn't flow enough, cams don't have enough lift/duration. So with bolt-ons only, you don't address these major hurdles to getting 200 whp.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont mean just bolt-ons i ment other than bolt ons what types of things would you suggest.
sorry i worded the question wrong.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There's not really many people better to ask then that man there(Mike D) MikeF. Since he is here take advantage of it and ask specific questions of him. He'll really help you out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iknow ive read his articles i was acually hoping hed reply.
thanx MD
I guess what i want to know is trying to build a fast/reliable all motor LS is a waste of time/money?
If not what types of things do you suggest?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx alot for your help i wasnt sure if my goals were realistic or not.
thanx for puttin it in perspective.

using that much boost will i need to change my pistons/rings, rods?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey MD, is there anything else needed for that much hp with a Drag 3 Turbo kit? Like say better fuel injectors and fuel pump? I have a 97 RS and am looking at doing the same thing as MikeF. Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i heard today that changin out the pistons on an LS would mess up the compression. is that true? or does it depend on what kind of pistons?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
ghostgsr, yes you will need upgraded fuel injectors.

mikef, mess up compression? How do you "mess up" compression?

and mikef again - yes you should strengthen your internals. however, like everything, it isn't a must, it's just a suggestion.

Stock LS can usually take 6-8 PSI before you have to beef up the guts...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
For a 10 psi kit, the Drag folks can supply you everything you need in the kit. I suggest upgrading the LS fuel pump as it flows less than the GSR/ITR/Si pumps (identical for these 3). The LS 240 injectors are the same as the GSR/ITR/Si's. The 10 psi kit for the GSR uses stock injectors but upgrading them cannot hurt.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the 10 psi kit should not require changing pistons...either because you want forged ones (can handle detonation hit better than the stock cast pistons) or you want to change the static CR (higher or lower). once you exceed 10 psi though, the game changes.

It seems like 10 psi is the cut off. No matter what the boost level though, tuning especially for fuel is important. I'm not the FI guy here, so you may want to ask the members & mods in the FI forum for more details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts