Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of lately i've been thinking ahead and what i plan on doing with my motor...I personally am a more show but just starting to plan out my plans for my motor... At first i was thinking motor swap but now i have my mind set on just building on what i already have... I eventually wanted to go turbo.. so i didn't want to go throwing my money into a NA exhaust manifold or expensive intake... But for now i kinda wanted something in my motor that would give my car a little push. I'm still working on the exterior of my car so i kinda want something that's not to expensive and not to much labor but a good investment for my motors future... I already have a cheap short-ram, but what else could or should i throw onto my motor that'll help the performance but won't be wasting my money if i was eventually gonna go turbo? intake manifold, pulleys?? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
i have heard that pulleys arent a good idea and i dont see how a new intake manifold would help you without tweaking the throttlebody uhh oooo now your spending hella cash but if you plan to turbo and you already have a cheap intake as do i than i think you are in a simmilar situation as me cause go cost money aint no way around that and if you plan on boosting properly you might as well start saveing now hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what makes you say that pulleys arent a good idea? To my understanding there is an average of 2.7 HP gained from every lb. lost off the crank shaft. So that would only mean more tq. and hp to the wheels am i correct? I don't think they'd throw it out on the market and advertise as performance products if it didn't help my motor perform better and faster. Also what did you mean by tweaking the throttlebody? Do you mean just getting a new throttlebody with a larger bore?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
TeamVicious on Aug/28/02 said:
Well what makes you say that pulleys arent a good idea? To my understanding there is an average of 2.7 HP gained from every lb. lost off the crank shaft. So that would only mean more tq. and hp to the wheels am i correct? I don't think they'd throw it out on the market and advertise as performance products if it didn't help my motor perform better and faster. Also what did you mean by tweaking the throttlebody? Do you mean just getting a new throttlebody with a larger bore?
here we go with the underdrive pulley thing again... there are two sides to this story. you can gain about a couple of hp by replacing the stock unit with smaller, lighter aftermarket parts. on the other hand, honda uses these pulleys as harmonic balancers. by removing the stock pulleys, you're basically getting rid of the harmonic balancer on your engine. in the long run, it can hurt your engine if you like to rev it up to the redline from time to time. there is a number of threads on this topic. the conclusion to each is that, at the end, you do what you want to do to your car. when two parties of knowledgeable and reputable people can't agree on something, i'd rather not f**k with it. that's just me though...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
dragontegz on Aug/28/02 said:
here we go with the underdrive pulley thing again... there are two sides to this story. you can gain about a couple of hp by replacing the stock unit with smaller, lighter aftermarket parts. on the other hand, honda uses these pulleys as harmonic balancers. by removing the stock pulleys, you're basically getting rid of the harmonic balancer on your engine. in the long run, it can hurt your engine if you like to rev it up to the redline from time to time. there is a number of threads on this topic. the conclusion to each is that, at the end, you do what you want to do to your car. when two parties of knowledgeable and reputable people can't agree on something, i'd rather not f**k with it. that's just me though...
old news. covered a million times before on several websites including here. unfortunately, the news never seems to reach the intended audience for some reason or another....and so the beginners continue to repeat the errors already committed by previous generations...when you cannot learn from other people's mistakes, you have to experience it yourself to "get it"...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps i didn't do a good enough search... Cause this time i actually used the search button on the topic "pulleys" just to prevent from wasting everybodys time. So i apologize for everyone's extra effort but thanks also...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts