Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When I did my jdm front I did the t bar method. You'll see why when you try to hold the whole rad support perfectly level wit c-clamps. It's do-able but, it's tough. If you have any questions about installing jdm fronts PM me. I've installed 3 for me and my friends. Also, I took 2 years of welding class back in high school. My main piece of advice would be to get your feed rate and amperage dialed in on a scrap piece of metal before you try and just go for it. I assume you bought a MIG welder?

Another thing I ran into on my jdm front was that the jdm fender brackets are different than thier usdm counterparts.

I also found all the articles I used when I did mine. This will answer alot of the questions you will run into.

Enjoy,
Owen

Official JDM diy thread
JDM headlight bulb sizes
Headlight De-hazing tips

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
NecroFIesh on Mar/02/11 said:
coming along nicely dude, congrats

Thanks dude, I appreciate it!

Quote: Zugglit on Mar/02/11 When I did my jdm front I did the t bar method. You'll see why when you try to hold the whole rad support perfectly level wit c-clamps. It's do-able but, it's tough. If you have any questions about installing jdm fronts PM me. I've installed 3 for me and my friends. Also, I took 2 years of welding class back in high school. My main piece of advice would be to get your feed rate and amperage dialed in on a scrap piece of metal before you try and just go for it. I assume you bought a MIG welder?

Another thing I ran into on my jdm front was that the jdm fender brackets are different than thier usdm counterparts.

I also found all the articles I used when I did mine. This will answer alot of the questions you will run into.

Enjoy,
Owen

Official JDM diy thread
JDM headlight bulb sizes
Headlight De-hazing tips
Thanks for the heads up! I'm past the point of no return on the method I took. Everything seems to be lining up perfectly so far. I just haven't been able to mock up the passenger side headlight due to the abs unit being in the way of the hid ballast assembly on the back of the jdm headlight. I may hit you up on the welding portion. As of now its just bolted on via the pics I last posted. I'll take your advice and try to get everything dialed in using my scrap usdm rad support as a test bed for my welding. Here's a link to the welder I bought. 90 amp flux wire welder
I also read about the fender brackets being different on one of the resources for jdm front installs. I inspected for that when i bought mine. Luckily since I bought a front nose cut, those fender brackets are there and I've switched them in place of the usdm ones. Thanks again for the info Owen. I'm looking forward to getting more done when I get the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suppose you're having trouble lining it up because you have the older high pressure ABS.

It would fit fine it it were the low pressure type from the 98+ tegs.

It's great to read about this thread. I have bought my jdm front for 2 years now and its just sitting there.

no money to get it in.

I'm getting very warm to the idea of doing it myself.

Is your mig welder gas type? Is it ok to use a wire feed welder?

what precautionary steps have you taken to ensure the chassis is dead straight when you start welding it on? Any measuring?

Also I would only do it the way you're doing it. welding on just the T bar is a short cut and a compromise imo.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I suppose you're having trouble lining it up because you have the older high pressure ABS.

It would fit fine it it were the low pressure type from the 98+ tegs.

Yup, I noticed on the newer tegs the abs unit is different, more compact.

It's great to read about this thread. I have bought my jdm front for 2 years now and its just sitting there.

no money to get it in.

I'm getting very warm to the idea of doing it myself.

Is your mig welder gas type? Is it ok to use a wire feed welder?

It's a flux wire welder I bought for $90 from a store called Harbor Freight.

what precautionary steps have you taken to ensure the chassis is dead straight when you start welding it on? Any measuring?

Precautionary steps? I guess I'd have to say none. I don't have any measurements to compare to if I did measure mine. My method has been to bolt the JDM rad support, then mock everything up. As in, fit the headlights, bumper, fenders and hood on. Not each and every bolt to attach those pieces but a few to get them in place. If something was off, I'd loosen the rad support a bit and adjust as necessary.

Also I would only do it the way you're doing it. welding on just the T bar is a short cut and a compromise imo.

Been real busy with work so I've been working on it when I've had the chance. Right now the motor is out, ABS is out, cleaning up the engine bay, prepping it for a brake line tuck as well as wire tuck. And to also perform some maintenance on the engine; water pump, belts etc. Planning on getting a new headgasket and ARP head studs too.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts