Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since i got my car back from the body shop, the inside of my windshield and the clear plastic housing of the gauge cluster won't clean up....

here's what i mean:

on the windhsield i've tried two types of everyday class cleaner

And on the guage cluster, i tried some diluted glass cleaner and the haze dissapears for a little bit then comes right back

Suggestions on what i should use instead of what i have? whatever the heck is all over both problem areas is a royal pain in the arse

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd try Mother's plastic cleaner and polish on the cluster, and I've always gotten my glass cleanest with Stoner Invisible Glass - no streaking, no residue, lasts longer than Windex. (Actually, I really like Stoner's More Shine, Less Time tire treatment, as well - one coat and tires look new, but not 'wet.' IMO the 'wet' tire look is too shiny, doesn't look natural...) Find 'em all at most auto part stores.

Edit: Found the Invisible Glass by accident - I was told it's tint safe (seems fine on tint to me) but had never been told how well it works.

Also, ArmorAll glass cleaner is pretty good for a tint safe non-aerosol, as well... Got some in an ArmorAll gift pack, so I use it now and then - doesn't last as long as the Stoner, though...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
there are specialized plastic cleaners and polishers available at modeling shops. I can't remember what its called but 3M makes a good one, I used to use it for model airplanes a while back, I'll look it up and see if I can find it for you. It works well and makes it look almost new again. For the windshield pick up a brick of Bon-Ami a hard glass cleaning material that will remove years of build up film on your windshield. This stuff is amazing, you rub it on the glass and polish it off, The only downside is that it gets so clean, you'll see little tiny chips that you didn't know were there previously.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Klasse AIO would be my choice for the plastic. If that doesn't work, it may be partially on the opposite side which would require you to take the piece out and treat both sides.

For the glass, I would go with the Klasse AIO or a dedicated glass polish. The glass has built up grime and haze from outgassing (vinyl/plastic), smoking, humans breathing, sweat, etc. Glass polish would work best, but Klasse AIO works well too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As far as the windshield is concerned, you sure its on the inside and not the outside? If its the outside check to see if its oversprayed with clearcoat or something. I had that problem, and i was so pissed cuz it was so damn annoying. I just used a FRESH razor blade and slowly but surely got it all off. Be careful not to scratch it.
As far as the gauge cluster glass goes, you could try sanding it down with 1500 grit sandpaper, then 2000, and the hit it with a buffer and buffing compound and then followed by some glaze afterwards.
You would probably have to take it off the cluster though.
These methods are a bit extreme, but the outcome is great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
as far as the glass being hazy, you will need to soap and water your window, then take some steel wool to it, that what we did at school at wyotech and in the collision shop i worked in, as far as the guage cluster get a little bit of buffing compound and not too agressive of a compound maybe something like a posish and buff if by hand with a terry cloth, hope this helps

·
Registered
419 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Feb/20/06 said:
Meguiar's plastic polishes are pretty good. I've used them on headlights, my iPod, and even on some random plastic around the house.
definitely good and CHEAP - if it can remove headlight haze, it will work on your cluster - i mean damn, i think its like 4 bucks for a bottle! not bad, just try it out a few times, be firm, but watch out for how much pressure you apply!!! if all else fails, you can still clean up your tail and head lights!

·
Registered
337 Posts
i actually just used mothers aluminum polish on mine. worked good any didnt leave and scratches. mine was about that bad too and it looks brand new. i used the same method on my headlights and got them christal clear

·
Registered
164 Posts
i use that foam window cleaner from lordco, works great
as for the plastic guage color
u might have fuked it up with some chemical
i remember once i was cleaning my glass on the tv stand and some windows got sprayed onto the back of the tv. its black and it was sunny, now it has these blotchy stains on it lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.