Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just painted my valve cover with black wrinkle paint and was cleaning the underside with carb cleaner before I put the cover back on my car (after a day of drying). When I flipped the cover back over, the paint was running all over the place, it ate throught the paint like a mofo. My advice to you is NOT use carb cleaner, I ended up using motor oil and paper towels to clean it out the second time I painted it.

It may have been the combo of products I used, but I don't want you guys to go through to same problem I did. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
good to know.. maybe I'll use some carb cleaner to strip off the existing paint.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, on round 2 of the paint stripping (after the carb cleaner ruined my first job), I used the carb cleaner to get the rest of the paint off. Who would have known?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Carb cleaner and also brake cleaner are great at removing oil & grime as well as paint! It might be a good idea to clean the entire valve cover first, then paint the top.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I did that. But when I took the paper towels out of the cover (that were covering the spark plug holes), some crap fell in the underside. Thats when I tried using the carb cleaner. It's allright now though, I repainted it and it's on my car right now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
take a pic and share. i painted mine bout a year ago with the engine flat black paint. Still looks good and holds up great to the oil i keep spilling on it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You need to cure Hitemp paint or it will never dry properly. Paint it and Bake it in the oven at about 500 for 30-40 minutes (Nice smell) but after it cools it will be JUST right. I recommend VHT brake Caliper Paint it contains a gloss so it resists solvents just fine. I will show you my creation but I need to figure out what the problem with Image Station is first.

·
Registered
801 Posts
When you bake it for that long, is there any chance of warping or harming the cover at all? I know the aluminum block undergoes some serious heat, but just wondering if its fine for the valve cover.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try using some Dupli-color high heat engine paint(1200 degrees). Here's a quick pic of mine. I put on about 3-4 coats of Dupli-color high heat engine paint (aluminum) and let each coat sit for like 30 minutes and after the last coat I let that set for about 4 hours and then applied 3-4 coats of some Dupli-color high heat (500 degree) clear coat and let that set over night and put it back on the next day. I've had it on for a couple of months. Holding up just fine. Just another suggestion.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even worse, on my second coat of paint when my bro was putting my valve cover back on, he put his thumb on the paint (and the paint being tacky) left a thumb indent. It dried and was still pretty noticable, so I put a second coat (just over the thumb spot) and am waiting for that to dry completely to see how it turns out. I am kinda regretting this whole project, turned out to be a bunch of pain my arse. I will try to post some pics of my cover when I get the chance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do not cover that thumb print up! Be sure to sand that spot down. Oil from your finger will cause the paint to crack when it gets hot. Believe me it happened to my hedder on my old Prelude. Even though a hedder gets much hotter the concept is still the same.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used wrinkle paint, so it's not like you can see every imperfection. What would I do after I sand it down, put a coat of paint over it? To paint this little spot, i just cut a hole (about 1") in a piece of paper and sprayed through the hole, so it just got the thumb print (and I don't have to take the whole damn thing off again)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
H4rdCoR3 on Mar/28/04 said:
hm.. anyone know a site that gives a rundown on exactly what to do?
<---- Look at the articles section on this page. It is under the "projects" section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts