Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pcv valve keeps cloging up and this is turning off the engine when the car stops at a red light or something. i tried replacing it but it still happens so i just have to clean it every other week. the car is a 99 ls with bolt-ons i/h/e pulleys and camgears. the car only has 60k on it and runs fine. i opened the valve cover evpecting to see traces of water but everthing looks fine. what im gettin in the pcv valve is a white/yellowish gunk thats blocking the flow. ( like when you change your oil and the oil thats left over in the pan from the oil change gets rained on thats what you see). right now i bypassed it being that i disconnected the bottom hose of the pcv valve going to the valve cover. so my question is whats wrong? if you need more details plz let me know

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
somethin' def. doesn't sound right...you shouldn't be getting any physical material in there. That valve is to let blow by gas and vapor back into the intake manifold. I don't know what kind of white/yellow substance you are getting into yours.

The service manifold says to pinch the hose between in manifold and PCV while the motor is running. You should hear a slight "clicking" noise when you do that. If not, it says to check the PCV or grommet for cracks or leaks.

Don't know what else to tell ya at this point

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
ScreaminTeg on Mar/10/04 said:
somethin' def. doesn't sound right...you shouldn't be getting any physical material in there. That valve is to let blow by gas and vapor back into the intake manifold. I don't know what kind of white/yellow substance you are getting into yours.

The service manifold says to pinch the hose between in manifold and PCV while the motor is running. You should hear a slight "clicking" noise when you do that. If not, it says to check the PCV or grommet for cracks or leaks.

Actually you replace a pcv valve because it gets all clogged up and dirty and the buildup stops the valve from opening properly. Have you actually replaced the valve or just cleaned it? I really don't see how a pcv would be shutting your car off, I've seen plenty of people who have the dirtiest most dead valves and their cars still run fine, hell I didnt even have one connected on my G2 for the longest time, So I don't know what else to tell you man. I guess get a new one if you havent already.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are you using coolant? The residue you describe sounds suspiciously like a blown head gasket. If you know how to use a block tester, or have a friend who does, I would get one and use it. The only thing you should be finding in your PCV valve is oil and/or carbon.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Shadowhunter on Mar/11/04 said:
Quote: ScreaminTeg on Mar/10/04somethin' def. doesn't sound right...you shouldn't be getting any physical material in there. That valve is to let blow by gas and vapor back into the intake manifold. I don't know what kind of white/yellow substance you are getting into yours.

Actually you replace a pcv valve because it gets all clogged up and dirty and the buildup stops the valve from opening properly. Have you actually replaced the valve or just cleaned it? I really don't see how a pcv would be shutting your car off, I've seen plenty of people who have the dirtiest most dead valves and their cars still run fine, hell I didnt even have one connected on my G2 for the longest time, So I don't know what else to tell you man. I guess get a new one if you havent already.
Why was your reply directed at me ? I was explaining to him the purpose and function of the PCV. I said nothing about the reason for changing it. Basically, your opst said you have no idea what to do. So I ask that you be a little more descriptive when it comes to replying directly to my quotes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, yes i have relaced it, and it still the same. it builds up about every two to three weeks. i have also thought that it might be a blown head gasket. but have not yet had the opertunity to check it out. as for you saying that the pcv valve should not stop the engine when idle, if that is true then something is really wrong with it. the engine not only shuts off when i plug the valve but it also will not start. neways will a compression test help me determin or pin point the problem? or are there better ways to go about it when i get the chance. thanx for all your inputs!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Shadowhunter on Mar/10/04 said:
yeah from working at valvoline ive seen the worst of them and some not even there all cars were still running and idleing fine..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts