Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to attempting a fix on the old GSR. I sideswiped someone about a year and a half ago trying to avoid another accident, and the left side CV joint came apart on impact, leaving me immobile at the scene of the accident. The car's been sitting in the garage since then.

I purchased a new CV axle, but when I try to put it together, it looks like the wheel is sitting about an inch further outboard then it used to. The new CV axle reaches the wheel, but it extends the CV joint out right to the edge of its maximum travel, which is probably why the old joint popped out of the hub and failed.

I know little about suspension. Looking at it and comparing to the right side, I can't see anything clearly amiss. I need help deciding if this is something that can be repaired or adjusted, or did I bend the frame or something worse.

I've attached some pictures of the passenger side suspension. Can anybody spot something that looks off?

Here is the CV joint fully extended into the wheel.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design Wheel

And here is the CV joint pushed firmly into the hub. Note how far into the wheel the end of the axle is.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

More pics of the suspension on the damaged side:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Jaw Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Knuckle probably bent. I've held a good one and a bent one side by side and you could barely tell until it was bolted on the car. Other things too like upper and lower control arms could be bent too. Even the slightest bend can make it way out of whack.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Both shots of axle with everything else bolted up?

Old axle same length as new axle?
If you can't compare, do you have part numbers of what you got and can you double check to another new in box axle to ensure you didn't get a wrong axle? (Don't know if their are diff length bseries axles... But wouldn't surprise me...)

Wheel face to fender offset? (Ie does tire poke out on one side while the other doesn't?)

Does track width in the front match spec?

Really, your in the best position to make the determination having hands on access to both sides. I unno - it's easy to miss small things in pics that are obvious when your hands on with the vehicle. For me at least.

Boots seem really squished on those axles... I avoided monkeying with mine when I installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is bolted up in those pics at least finger tight so all in place.

The CV axle is the same part number I had in there at the time of the sideswipe accident, and matches up in dimension to the old part. It was a cheap part but it lasted for about 40k miles before the accident.

As for dimensions, that's what I need to dig into next I suppose. I was being a bit lazy here hoping someone could eyeball something obvious from the pictures.

Yes the boots are all original 24 year old and they need replacement, but I'd like to get the major problem resolved before I dive into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts