Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently completed my exhaust system including my wrapped DC headers magnaflow HM high flow cat and Skunk2 catback. I'm wondering if I should take precautions by maybe welding it all together or to my chassis because with it all being new new bolts and hardware I'm worried that that will also make it easy for people to steal. It has been bad around here for people stealing catalytic converters and I couldn't imagine if I went outside to find out my exhaust that I've worked so hard to save up for and put on myself was gone. Lmk if I'm just being paranoid or I should be prepared 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
You're being paranoid.

If it's welded together, you're creating a huge roadblock If you ever need to replace a specific component in the system. There's not a single application or system that I know of where the entire system is welded.

As far as welding it to the chassis, you're going to hate driving it, noise wise. The system needs to flex & move as the vehicle travels on a road. You'll end up cracking something in the exhaust if the ability to flex is removed. That's the main reason why the exhaust is supported by rubber hangers, and not welded in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're being paranoid.

If it's welded together, you're creating a huge roadblock of you ever need to replace a specific component in the system. There's not a single application or system that I know of where the entire system is welded.

As far as welding it to the chassis, you're going to hate driving it. The system needs to flex & move as the vehicle travels on a road. You'll end up cracking something in the exhaust if the ability to flex is removed. That's the main reason why the exhaust is supported by rubber hangers, and not welded in the first place.
I appreciate it! That's what I needed to hear because I saw people welding there's on and like having reasoning behind why or why not to. That makes sense and I might get my vin number engraved in my cat so it's harder to sell it.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
I appreciate it! That's what I needed to hear because I saw people welding there's on and like having reasoning behind why or why not to. That makes sense and I might get my vin number engraved in my cat so it's harder to sell it.
A simple screwdriver that scratches or a dremel tool would remove the engraving, and nobody would even take notice to it being removed, since it's a component that's not normally engraved. Additionally, how would a potential buyer know the difference between something that is stolen vs. being legitimately sold by someone? It's not like there's a database of cat converters.

Just drive it & enjoy it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my answer was to swap in a test pipe lol.
but no smog tests here so ymmv.
i still have the cat just in case...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most people who steal cats in my area carry sawzalls so welding in your cat to the rest of the exhaust doesn’t matter.

Since you drive an integra just lower your car if you haven’t already. My car is lowered and you can’t get anywhere near my cat with the car on the ground.

Most cars that have their catalytic converters stolen are vehicles with high ground clearance like suvs and trucks. You can easily crawl under one of those, a lowered Integra not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts