Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm in the process of trying to get some bodyparts for my car. Actually the OEM kit. I picked up a bumper and i'm planning on getting skirts and front and rear lips. It's hard to get anything in one color so my dad is telling me I should paint the stuff myself. I guess he's painted stuff before back in the day and wants to buy a new gun and paint these parts. Would anyone suggest this? Will it turn out to be complete crap or will it actually look ok? Also does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy the gun, what equipment to buy, anything on the process, getting it to match, etc?

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
wet sand 400 grit/ slowly go up to 1000 grit, make everything nice and smooth, then use primer with some flex additive in it, then use thin coats of base paint, take your time do it gradually on a day without any hummidity.

if you take your time and use thin coats it will come out really nice, add clearcoat at the end depending on the color of your car.

but make sure to use flex additives on anything that is plastic and has flexibility to it, so the paint doesnt come off, paint evrything off the car, not installed, if you are using a gun make sure to dilute the paint correctly and use a good compressor.

goodluck, its not hard just take ur time, I painted some stuff using spray paint and it came out nice. Try to get good qaulity paint too.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Also, don't forget when painting urethane to spray first with adhesion promoter. The natural oils in the urethane will screw you over if you don't. You do need flex additive as well since the urethane is very flexible.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Go and sand off all of the clear coat until you've got some finely sanded paint. Then primer over the paint. Sand that down. Paint.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
rwaggie on Feb/28/04 said:
Also, don't forget when painting urethane to spray first with adhesion promoter. The natural oils in the urethane will screw you over if you don't. You do need flex additive as well since the urethane is very flexible.
Before that, you have to bake the urethane. That way, it lets off all the gases trapped inside.

·
Registered
801 Posts
TaiChi on Feb/28/04 said:
Before that, you have to bake the urethane. That way, it lets off all the gases trapped inside.
Really? I've never heard of that before. I would be worried that that would affect fitment and warping of the original shape ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts