Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a type-r front bumper which is championship white, and my car is frost white so i need to paint it. I am wondering if I should paint my bumper myself or have it professionally done, I painted my own side skirts and moulding. I just have a few questions:

1. should I do it myself or have it professionaly done?

2. if i do it myself since it is white could I just sandoff the clear coat then add primer and then paint it or should i sand all the way down so all the paint is off?

3. is it good to do a job like this with custom mixed paint in spray paint cans or should it be done using a paint gun?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Im no expert, but i figured id just give my opinion....

I'd say if you are comfortable with doing it yourself, then why not?

I saw my car in the "prep" stages of getting it painted and it still looked white even tho it was "primed" and all that...so im guessing on question 2 you don't have to sand it all the way down. (i have no idea tho...just my opinion)

and question 3 i would say a gun... wouldn't that be faster?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just painted my Daughter's 93 LS Special front bumper Frost White (By the way, it was easier than I thought it would be) and here is what I found:

1. Definitely Spray it with a high qualty spray gun, spraying from a can doesn't give reliable results. I used a lower end HVLP gun and got a little bit of a orange peel texture which I had to wet sand down.
2. Get the right materials from a Automotive paint store locally (don't buy on the Internet). Just give them the color code. Also get the correct method for those materials from the paint store. For example, the primer they sold me had to be sprayed on very lightly on plastic parts otherwise it will cracked when installed on the car.
3. Get a book on painting cars and study a bit first. I found several helpful tips (it also helps to do it before buying the paint, so you don't look completely clueless).
4. Spray it in a clean area and wear a half-face mask and googles.
5. Take your time building up the coats, its easier than sanding out mistakes.
6. If the bumper isn't new, fix any problems before you spray, otherwise you'll be doing it again.
7. Get all the parts you'll need to reinstall the bumper before you start. Mine needed a new bumper reinforcement and a boat load of missing mounting bolts. Because I didn't check the bumper reinforcement before painting I had to wait a week for the new one during which time the paint drys more and could crack during installation (I got lucky).
8. Have a friend handy when installing the bumper, its tough for one person to handle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. you can sand down the clear coats and spray over it, you might not even need primer, unless you need to fix spots

2. make sure you buy the right paints from a proper paint store

3. use a gravity feed spray gun ( a paint store might let you rent one ) if not rent one from where you get your compressor

4. use a well ventilated, clean area

5. take your time...no rush, rather get it right then have it look splotchy...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
The problem with painting urethane youreself is that you have to use a flex agent or the paint will crack.

Flex agent is nasty stuff. Not only do you have to get the amount right or risk f**king up the finish, but it's hazardous enough that you dont want to open the can unless you're wearing a good mask and gloves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts