Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all you do-it-yourself-ers,
Has anyone painted the hub part of their brake rotors? I know it must sound stupid, but think of the rust that developes on that part of the rotor after a small time. Also, I was wondering if it would be a conflict with heat dissipation? Anyway, I just got some brembos and wanna paint the hub part black with some high temp caliper paint, at least for some looks and to stop the nasty rust. Please respond with some info on past projects or your opinions, if anyone has done this...

-Matt

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I haven't done it, but I have thought about doing it. As of yet, I just haven't had the time to do it.

I think high temp paint would work. At the worst, it would just flake off. You aren't risking anything more than a few dollars and a little time on this project. Go for it!

Others will probably agree with me that surface prep will be one of, if not the most, important steps in your project.

When I was considering this project, I thought that it would be a good idea to remove the rotors from the car and use a bench grinder with a wire wheel to clean off all of the rust before priming and painting. That way I could get them extremely clean and rust free, and avoid any possible chance of overspray getting onto the car.

Don't skimp on masking stuff off either. And as hard as it is to give the paint time to cure ... Give It Time To Cure.

Best wishes on your paint project, and post up some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I too have thought about it. I painted my calipers a few weeks back. I see that rust around the hub of the rotor and was wondering if anyone has tried painting them. If you do it, take some pics, or at least let us know how it turned out. Go for it, good luck

·
Registered
662 Posts
i did it...same time i was painting the calipers..i used duplicolor high temp paint..gloss black...i put a lot of coats...maybe around 8-9...ahaaa...but no chipping!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I did mine with my calipers. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, 4 coats of clear. All hi-temp paint from autozone. No problems, no chipping. Just always covered with brake dust so you can't really tell :p

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

I still have to use a knife and go around to edge to clean it up a little. I probably should have scuffed the surface, but oh well. I brake cleaned it really well just like I did with my calipers, and they are holding up well. Now all I have to do is brake loose the upper bolt holding the caliper on, on the driver side, then I can change it over (gonna pair some ceramic based pads up with these, and see how it goes).

Here's how my calipers turned out (old rotors):

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Ever since I saw these Rotera Rotors, I've had similar thoughts...

Looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
dohclsvtec on Apr/17/04 said:
Dear all you do-it-yourself-ers,
Has anyone painted the hub part of their brake rotors? I know it must sound stupid, but think of the rust that developes on that part of the rotor after a small time. Also, I was wondering if it would be a conflict with heat dissipation? Anyway, I just got some brembos and wanna paint the hub part black with some high temp caliper paint, at least for some looks and to stop the nasty rust. Please respond with some info on past projects or your opinions, if anyone has done this...

-Matt
None at all.

This thread right here touched on the subject for about a page but then went way off and started into another huge rotor debate. (If you wanted a more detailed answer than just yes or no)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Integraoligist on Jul/16/04 said:
i just painted my hubs an Anodized blue... and will be installing them tonight while painting the calipers... is'nt that queer
yeah especially if your rotor hats are blue and your calipers are red, hahahaha

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
95db8GSR on Jul/16/04 said:
Quote: Integraoligist on Jul/16/04i just painted my hubs an Anodized blue... and will be installing them tonight while painting the calipers... is'nt that queer
yeah especially if your rotor hats are blue and your calipers are red, hahahaha

[/quote] yep, red IS pretty gay

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Alvin I'm assuming you got the AEM kit just for looks. They look nice, would be better if they added good brake power as well.

for those that want tp paint the hats, I would recommend doing it on a new set of rotors, or wait till you get new rotors, to avoid exposing them to water and moisture before painting. once they start rusting the pain won't last too long, it will bubble back up and rust will show.

so if you wanna do it right, do it on new rotors. Rust is very hard to clean, even when cleaned to bare metal it will most likely come back

·
Registered
1998 Integra
1,113 Posts
Did mine Silver when I got new AutoZone rotors. They were new, rust free, but covered with a light oil. Used rubbing alcohol and cleaned them up, put vaseline on the surfaces that I didn't want painted and sprayed them.

I used a 1200 degree paint that I found at AutoZone. So far so good (about 3 months).

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I would definitely say that spraying the hub is a more cost effective way to make the brakes look nicer than getting the AEM big brake kit after i had researched brakes a while back. From what ive seen, most people with the AEM kit have bad experiences with them cracking and warping... If you upgrade the calipers, then they would be able to make a positive difference.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
integrapunk67 on Jul/16/04 said:
I would definitely say that spraying the hub is a more cost effective way to make the brakes look nicer than getting the AEM big brake kit after i had researched brakes a while back. From what ive seen, most people with the AEM kit have bad experiences with them cracking and warping... If you upgrade the calipers, then they would be able to make a positive difference.
I can't confirm that AEM does it, but I know a lot of those "slotted and drilled" rotors out there are just brembo blanks that "X Company" drilled and slotted themselves (to save money). That would most likely bring the overal integrity of the rotors down. If I was to get a big brake kit with slotted and/or drilled rotors (for auto X only), I would stick with Brembo.

I only did the front blanks on mine (still haven't installed them yet, ordered pads today), I'm probably going to wait and get a big brake kit for the back, mainly for looks. I'm upgrading to 16" wheels soon (possibly 17") and I can't stand how small they are in the back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts