Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I detailed an Eclipse in December that had a painted carbon fiber hood. It was a black GSX and they painted an OEM style carbon fiber hood black. That guy must have been smoking crack...

Unless you are seriously racing then the weight savings isn't going to matter. Unless your car is stripped of all the seats, spare tire, air conditioner, you have light wheels, and a number of other weight saving options then I don't think you are getting a carbon fiber hood just for the 'weight savings'. Most people get it for the look. Its not like you are going to suddenly feel lighter and more agile in the car. Its just an appearance thing that adds very little performance benefit unless you have a number of other weight saving modifications.

With that being said, I don't know why you would paint over it if the whole point is for appearance. That would be like getting a high priced sub woofer and amplifier and all the trimmings and then never connecting it to your stereo. It doesn't do much good unless you go all the way. Otherwise its just eye candy.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
my friend had a vis hood and had to just paint it cuz someone hit his front, or he hit something...not hard enough to do real damage, but enough to where it could be repaired but had to be painted...he wasen't happy about it but...i don't think i'd wanna just buy one and paint it though...

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
pyrot40 on Feb/26/04 said:
I was wondering if you can paint carbon fiber to match your car so you had the lightweightedness of carbon fiber without letting people know you had any
Yes you can, I heard carbon fiber flexes alot, so they might have to put the flex agent in, (that's another debate in and of itself).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Feb/27/04 said:
I detailed an Eclipse in December that had a painted carbon fiber hood. It was a black GSX and they painted an OEM style carbon fiber hood black. That guy must have been smoking crack...

Unless you are seriously racing then the weight savings isn't going to matter. Unless your car is stripped of all the seats, spare tire, air conditioner, you have light wheels, and a number of other weight saving options then I don't think you are getting a carbon fiber hood just for the 'weight savings'. Most people get it for the look. Its not like you are going to suddenly feel lighter and more agile in the car. Its just an appearance thing that adds very little performance benefit unless you have a number of other weight saving modifications.

With that being said, I don't know why you would paint over it if the whole point is for appearance. That would be like getting a high priced sub woofer and amplifier and all the trimmings and then never connecting it to your stereo. It doesn't do much good unless you go all the way. Otherwise its just eye candy.

are you joking? my CF hood only weighs 7 lbs. that is a far cry from what 30 something that the stock hood weighs?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Solscud007 on Aug/10/06 said:
Quote: Jngrbrdman on Feb/27/04I detailed an Eclipse in December that had a painted carbon fiber hood. It was a black GSX and they painted an OEM style carbon fiber hood black. That guy must have been smoking crack...

are you joking? my CF hood only weighs 7 lbs. that is a far cry from what 30 something that the stock hood weighs?

Yeah Carbon fiber does weigh a lot less...but what he is saying is, you're not gonna notice a difference with the cf hood compared to the stock hood. If you're going all out with weight reduction then get a light hood for less weight, but otherwise you're not gonna be much faster with just a 20 lb. difference between hoods...

·
Registered
176 Posts
i thought cf had a lower heat retension than that of a stock hood?

·
Registered
814 Posts
2001silvergs on Feb/27/04 said:
yes you can paint carbon fiber.. there are cars that the whole body of the car is carbon fiber, such as the mclaren f1. it paints fine.

Yep, I was reading a magazine and they had put an LS7(Corvette Z06) engine in a Pontiac Solstice. The whole body was made of carbon fiber and was painted red. The car ran 9's while spinning through the first quarter of the track.

·
Registered
871 Posts
LSReborn on Aug/10/06 said:
Solscud your cf hood weighs only 7 lbs!!! Where did you get your hood from. But yes cf hoods can be painted, I have seen it plenty of times.
It is some pos from fiberimages. uber ligth weight but not as nnice as VIS interms of fit and finish. but i care more abotu the weight savings.

Dont try to think of speed with weight savings. its about the handling of the car. that extra weight will lower the CG of the car a little bit. think of that extra 20 lbs on top being thrown around compared to light weight 7lb hood.

I want to paint my hood cause it is completely faded and i dont want peopel knwoing i have CF hood. also CF on black is kinda redundant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.