Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted their front lip on their own? I'm thinking about purchasing a OEM ITR Replica front lip that is made out of ABS Plastic. I was wondering if the same method would be used as in the article on painting the stock front lip off a 94-97 integra. I was also wondering if the black spray paint would match or at least be close to matching the flamenco black color of my 98 integra. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Flamenco Black has yello paint chips mixed in with the black so using a black spray paint would not match

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
You guys will never learn. Look at your color code here,

Then go to your local auto shop and pick up a can of paint w/that color code. If you can't find it, check Duplicolor's website. If they don't have it, try going to the local paint store. If they can't get it for you go to www.paintscratch.com or the dealership. It none of this is doable, then you can go to a bodyshop pay them $100 or more to paint it.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Flamenco has all colors of flakes in it.

Granada has gold flakes.

Nighthawk Black has blue flakes in it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
the can will work fine, pearl is mixed into the paint its not 2 different layers, it will cost u like $20 to paint yourself and as long as the paint on ur car isnt to faded it will work fine. try it, its $20 tops, whats that the worse that could happend u have to sand it a pay someone to do it, no big deal try it urself, ull do fine

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
No a pearl coat is a small amount of color added to some clear. And it would come out fine, as long as he followed the proper procedure. The flakes are premixed into the paint. If it does happen to be a multi-stage paint, places like paintsratch.com will sell you all the stages and the instructions are on the website.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Granada has both red and gold flake...

Granada Black Pearl:

DMD 622Red 8
1686Fine Aluminum8.6
646Weak White 22.7
641Yellow55.8
PRL 99Red Pearl 56
93Gold Pearl 56.2
DMD 1683Black411.6
DBX 1689Clear494.9

-----------------

Nighthawk Black Pearl

DMD 649Clear127.8
640Yellow134.8
1678Green176.9
1607Blue228.9
PRL89Violet Pearl229.1
92Blue Pearl229.7
DMD 1683Black363.1
DBX 1689Clear503.5

·
Registered
420 Posts
well i have painted stuff on my old rs followed the direction and put some clear on and it came out fine it was Granada pearl

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so spray painting it myself will work fine, but do I have to follow what the article says, ie. sand off stuff and then paint or can I just paint right onto the plastic?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just purchased the lip and its supposed to come in by tomorrow, which means that I will be painting it this weekend. No one ever answered my question about whether or not I need to primer/sand down and then paint. Would you have to follow this procedure for abs plastic?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I think you should primer/sand. It helps the actual paint adhere to the lip better.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, I was browsing thru the primers at Pep Boys and they have the sandable primer and non-sandable primer. Which one do I get?

I also just found out that there is no adhesive on my lip, so what should I do about that? I definitely want it to have adhesive on the center part of the lip, but I know I can just screw in the sides. I'll be doing this tomorrow (Saturday 6/5) so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'll probably create a new thread to see if anyone has ever put adhesive on the lip if it never came with it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sandable primer. That way you can wetsand your primer to ensure a smooth finish. Prep is more important than the painting- it shows through. If you want adhesive tape, 3M 3 layer 5 lb (I think thats how its labelled. ?) double sided automotive tape should do. Extremely strong stuff.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i'll agree with Kown. That 3m tape came on my wing west kit, it is DAAAAAMNNNNNN strong. After 2 years of it on there, i had to razorblade it off when i sold the kit. Even then it was a ***** to come off.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
*** UPDATE ***

I finished painting my ITR Replica Lip last night and installed it as well. Let me tell ya, it looks DAMN GOOD! Took awhile to paint because I had to wait for each coat to dry, but it seems to be well worth it so far. And the paint looks like it matches exactly! I went to a local auto shop and they had a replica paint for the 1998 Flamenco Black Pearl. It was made by Plasti Kote. I don't have pics yet because I left my digi cam down in DC where my gf lives. She's sending it to me so I'll get pics asap.

btw. Here was the steps I took:

15 minute drying time between coats:

4 coats of Plasti Kote black primer
Sanded very lightly with very fine grit sand paper
4 coats of Plasti Kote Flamenco Black Pearl replica paint

Color Code6oz.1oz.Color Name
----------------------------------------------------
NH592P-353263051*FLAMENCO BLACK PEARL B/C

4 coats of Plasti Kote Clear Coat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts