Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used the duplicolor ultra metallic silver. took me about 6 hours all together from washing the side skirts to putting them back on. it cost me a total of $20.

sanding them. wish i had an electric sander.

primered paint.

im pretty happy with the results. at first i can kinda see the difference but over time i will not notice it at all.

anyone know how to fix paint drips? i sprayed a little too close on a corner. should i use sand paper?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
looks sweet

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put about 3 coats of clear coat and still really didnt get that "reflection" that you see when you look at the doors. is that because the skirts are plastic and not metal like the doors? or is it because the skirts werent 100% smooth?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks Very Good, I wonder if I can find some Super Sonic Blue Paint and Do the Same thing.... I guess I will have to wait for a Hot Sunny Day :)

Im Glad to see you the Primer, Paint doesn't like to stick to that plastic piece for some reason.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Looks awesome. The mismatch is barely noticeable (less noticable than mine). I don't think youre going to get any flak from anyone. Looks great bro. Also, I find that duplicolor's clear top coat sucks. I mean, its a clearcoat, I just haven't gotten the sheen I wanted either. I used a lot of that stuff too. (Around 8+ coats). Ah well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
To rwaggie:

What kind of clear coat would you recommend then? Also, as I understand from your other posts, you recommend duplicolor's ultra silver metallic as the best match for vogue silver metallic. Is that right? And also, would applying more coats of paint result in perhaps a closer match? Thanks. I wanna get this right the first time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well, I used the Silver metallic, I recommended USM because Silver was a bit too dark. I used duplicolor clearcoat, but I am not happy with it. I heard the more you use the more it the paint will seem to match. I can't suggest a different clearcoat to use, but I just dont like Duplicolors. After you get around 4 coats of a paint, you really reached the color of the paint. Its all in the clearcoating. AlvinH suggests using a whole 12oz can of clear per sideskirt. I used 1 5oz can per sideskirt, maybe that has something to do with the shininess.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DEviOS117, your looking at a ultra silver metallic paint. i think it matches quite well. closer match than silver metallic as rwaggie stated. make sure to paint the top of the skirts also. i didnt think it was necassary so that is what happend on my first picture. i will probably be painting that back tommorow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
looks real good, I may end up doing my moldings and skirts tomorrow, not sure yet though, so you do paint the top of the molding or dont?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WrAiN-94LS on Apr/03/04 said:
looks real good, I may end up doing my moldings and skirts tomorrow, not sure yet though, so you do paint the top of the molding or dont?
the moldings are the ones on the doors. i painted my side skirts not moldings. and yes paint the top of the SKIRTS because half of it will end up showing when you open the door and look down.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can anyone recommend any clear coats besides the duplicolor ones. im planning to buy and lip then paint it myself. i really wasnt satisified with duplicolor clear coat.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
JayDeeEm on Apr/03/04 said:
i put about 3 coats of clear coat and still really didnt get that "reflection" that you see when you look at the doors. is that because the skirts are plastic and not metal like the doors? or is it because the skirts werent 100% smooth?
because you were using spray paint, of course your not gonna get the reflection you get on the door, there is a big difference between spray and automotive paint,

now, you would wetsand and buff the side skirt and it could turn out shinny, it probably would but i dont know, i havnt used spray paint before, and plastics can be reflective, just look at your front and rear bumper

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TeamKinetik on Apr/03/04 said:
Quote: JayDeeEm on Apr/03/04i put about 3 coats of clear coat and still really didnt get that "reflection" that you see when you look at the doors. is that because the skirts are plastic and not metal like the doors? or is it because the skirts werent 100% smooth?
because you were using spray paint, of course your not gonna get the reflection you get on the door, there is a big difference between spray and automotive paint,

now, you would wetsand and buff the side skirt and it could turn out shinny, it probably would but i dont know, i havnt used spray paint before, and plastics can be reflective, just look at your front and rear bumper
[/quote] did this person wetsand/buff his lip then? he used the same kind of spray paint as i did.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks very good. Noticed some dirt right above the skirts, I bet if you took a buffer and went over the car the difference would only be noticible to you, if that much.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts