Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! This past summer, I acquired a type r lip and decided to paint them with the stock skirts in 1 shot. My only complaints are that duplicolor clear coat sucks bad and that perhaps the plastic adhesion primer was worse than the sandable primer but 20/20 hind sight. I also regret not having done this mod as soon as I got my car. All comments welcome! Enjoy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
great job!! love the car and the color! loving see diy paint posts...just wondering what is the paint called on the cans? i remember looking for some spray to do my stock skirts and couldnt find anything that was a perfect match..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the duplicolor paint is called ultra silver metallic. I did my research before hand and it was the best match. Duplicolor doesn't offer a perfect match to NH-583M so this one was eye-balled by some1 at some point.

The plastic adhesion promotor kinda sucks because i already have knicks where passengers have kicked off some of the paint down to the plastic. It comes out and dries clear so it's hard to tell what kind of coverage you're getting. I just feel like the sandable primer would have provided a thicker, stronger bond. The clearcoat has almost 0 shine. It only looks good if you use it on minor ground effects pieces like these. Definitely try and find a different clear coat. Maybe 3M?

Pointers? Sand sand sand. I had a few rough spots due to poor sanding. This was the first time I've ever painted anything so it wasn't perfect. An electric sander is key. I probably spent an hour sanding each piece. By hand I'd recommend spending at least 1.5 hrs. If you want an in depth instruction process, I'll post it

·
Registered
312 Posts
whered you get your lip from? also, if you want to restore some more shine, just put on a few more coats of clear then wetsand with maybe 1000 grit and buff it

·
Registered
158 Posts
looks good. Damn, i painted mine(milano red) this past weekend and mine suck! The color doesn't match the car
Be glad you didn't use the duplicolor sandable primer. I did. The only thing that i didn't do compared to you is i didn't use the adhesion promoter. Maybe i should have cause mine look like ass. I sanded and primered 3 times(one was wetsand) and then 5 coats of paint(wetsand after 2 coat) and then 5-6 coats of clear. They aren't shiny at all. I knew i was in trouble after 2 coats of painting and it looked terrible. I don't understand cause i painted the stock front lip a month ago with the same steps and materials and it looks great.

Materials used:
Duplicolor import spray-honda milano red
duplicolor clear coat
duplicolor sandable primer
Sandpaper: 1000 grit

Should i try them again with the adhesion promoter?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So are you saying that you only used the promoter, and no primer.?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
i painted my moldings and side skirts twice in the past 3 yrs. the moldings held up pretty good, but the side skirts get kicked and nicked up. i used primer, dupli color touch up spray paint, and clear coat. i just bought that krylon paint that is made for plastic and am going to give it a try soon. my car is white so its easy to match up. i hope this new paint sticks better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks good brother! I also have Vogue Silver Metallic, and Ultra Silver Metallic seems to be the gooder match.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only used the adhesion promoter. Mind you all that it's only been a few months and I only drive my car on the weekends so it hasn't endured the test of time. I used something like 4xx grit, then 6xx then 1xxx on all parts. I purchased my lip through groupbuycenter and the seller was phasenine. Kinda sucky communication but great bargain and quality at something like $80-90 shipped.

gsrtonv05: Are you saying that your results are due to the sandable primer? I've heard that milano red is an extremely hard color to match. And the only function of the primer is adhesion so I don't see why that would affect the luster of the finished product.

I will say this though. If this paintjob doesn't last, I'm going professional because one more shot at it will have paid for a professional job anyways.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i havea 95 GSR in the teal color and i just had the OEM side skirts and the OEM lip (the black part) painted also, my cousin was fixing a minor rust spot so i got him to paint that stuff as well, ill post pics as soon as i can...it looks A LOT nicer now

·
Registered
158 Posts
DEviOS117 on Sep/09/04 said:
I only used the adhesion promoter. Mind you all that it's only been a few months and I only drive my car on the weekends so it hasn't endured the test of time. I used something like 4xx grit, then 6xx then 1xxx on all parts. I purchased my lip through groupbuycenter and the seller was phasenine. Kinda sucky communication but great bargain and quality at something like $80-90 shipped.

gsrtonv05: Are you saying that your results are due to the sandable primer? I've heard that milano red is an extremely hard color to match. And the only function of the primer is adhesion so I don't see why that would affect the luster of the finished product.

I will say this though. If this paintjob doesn't last, I'm going professional because one more shot at it will have paid for a professional job anyways.
You are probably right about the milano red being hard to match. I don't know if the primer was my problem it was just one of the things that was different from what you did, so i was trying to think of a reason why your's looks good and mine doesn't. I am starting to think i didn't use a strong enough sandpaper. I just used 1000 while you did 400, 600, 100. I should have used something rougher because after i got done(and now) my sideskirts are really rough feeling. Not smooth at all. I think if i would have used stronger sand paper and that adhesion stuff it would have turned out better. I don't really care too much cause from a distance it looks like it matches and up close it still looks better than the stock black.

·
Registered
745 Posts
your silver matches very well.. duplicolor doesnt make anything for satin silver either, so my sideskirts dont match well at all. you can't tell at night at least haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts