Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please please tell me what I did wrong? Put on first coat a day ago and going to put second coat on but started to wrinkle up.
Sprayed with highly diluted **** and span and wiped and dried off the area before applying 2nd coat.
I tried to wipe wrinkles with tac cloth which well only made it worse but it was wrinkled anyway before.

I don't understand why it did this the first coat of spray paint looked great but the second is a disaster :/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sanded the factory paint down some with 320 then 400 grit. Cleaned the surface with mineral spirits then spray painted and got fish eyes and runs everywhere.
Silvia sounds like I am having your same problem. So i assume you cannot even sand and use the factory primer then either ?
Also if I paint the bumpers does that also need to be sanded down to the plastic thereby starting all over there as you suggested on the panels that are metal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the piece off in between rear bumper and the hatch door. I think gonna wire brush that to bare metal and I have some 2 in 1 primer filler can apply before trying to spray paint it.
I also seemed have runs & fish eyes around pillars like you mentioned not sure why but I only sanded the factory paint there to get rid of clear coat.
I'm sure its the factory paint but it appears it doesnt matter seems like im gonna have strip and primer everything.
I guess ill be doing the same on the front bumper which is not gonna be a fast process.
Going to experiment some more but stripping it to bare metal is the answer I've been looking for so long. Maybe it still won't be great but if anything will work its going to be that sounds like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is 2 in 1 primer ok I not quite sure the difference between self etching primer and 2 in 1 primer. Both appear to be intended for applying to metal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I painted the whole car (besides bumpers) with Rustoleum spray paint Lol. Seemed like a good idea at the time but now depending on how this test metal panel goes Im considering going down to bare metal all around and buying harbor freight LPHV gun and spraying the entire car at once.
I have no idea what paint to use though or if ill need a quart or a pint to do the whole car in at least 2 coats, and then theres the whole clear coat issue seems difficult to believe that someone doesnt make paint and clear coat 2 in 1.
Thinking of calling PPG and asking if they sell anything specifically for automotive applications.
What paint you planning on using?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool I might check that out.

Anyone know where to get 400 grit circle sandpaper that fits onto drill attachment?

I bought a drill pad stick on attachment but none of the sandpaper circles are 300 or 400 grit neither Lowes or Home depot have them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool I think harbor has one. If you are sanding to bare metal with a DA sander but then add primer and sand primer.

WIll you sand primer by hand because the DA sander seems like just take it back down to bare metal again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts