Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I sanded the factory paint down some with 320 then 400 grit. Cleaned the surface with mineral spirits then spray painted and got fish eyes and runs everywhere.
Silvia sounds like I am having your same problem. So i assume you cannot even sand and use the factory primer then either ?
Also if I paint the bumpers does that also need to be sanded down to the plastic thereby starting all over there as you suggested on the panels that are metal?
I would try a test panel on the plastic. But I’m sure it’ll be fine after just sanding. On the body itself around the rear quarter panel and pillars, I got that reaction. I stripped everything off. Metal etch, primer, sealer, paint, and clear.
You didn't put on a new primer? Yea probably be best to use new primer and stuff. Don't know what's underneath and if paint work has been done before.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Is 2 in 1 primer ok I not quite sure the difference between self etching primer and 2 in 1 primer. Both appear to be intended for applying to metal.
As long as it protects the bare metal first. You should be fine with 2 in 1.
But like others mention Paint Society has very nice tutorial videos on YouTube. I’m about to repaint my car also.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
PPG does make car paint. Go to a local paint shop and have them match your color code.
I had my car done at Maaco years ago. They used enamel-based paint. When I went to repaint my car I went with PPG Omni and that is urethane. They didn’t play well.
Here’s something I found you can read on.
Automotive Paint Problems? Here Are The Causes and Solutions - PChrome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts