1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
no but I've heard good things about it

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have seen this put on by dealerships on new cars.
When I went to Acura for service they had a new TL with this film on it.
Looked good, didn't stick out bad or anything.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
whoa... $600 for vinyl? that better be some good sh*te. Does anyone know how much the 3M film costs?

FlyinHighImport on Sep/11/02 said:
i've seen it in person, it works...but you can get your car vinyled your stock color for like 600

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just called a local place that does this.
They have Integra kits for 98+

Bumper kit-$330(lots of pieces)
Hood+Mirror kit- $180

Those are the prices including install.
He said it lasts up to 7 years

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea, I got one of their companies in SC to have it installed on my gf's car, it's sooo nice... it's not even noticeable. It protects her front bumper, side mirrios and about 6" of her hood. I GIVE IT A 2 THUMBS UP!! Cost me $520.00. But well worth it. The guy told me that you'd have to replace it about 2 years but if not driven alot it can last a long time!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
yeah i was thinking about putting that on after i paint my car. i saw it at sema car show, and it looks pretty good, i am going to have to look around for some local shop that can do that or do it myself, i saw a website that shows you how you can install it yourself, but can't remember where.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it says that if you wax the car then the wax will build up in the seems... but wait until it drys and it brushes right off.

my brother was a Vinal shop ane we install vinal on cars all the time...

but how can you put it on such a round surface like the mirrors?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
this stuff almost reminds me of that little film thing they put on watches and electronics stuff to keep it from getting scratched during shipping. obviously your paint won't get chipped, but wouldnt a rock leave a little scuff or scratch on this stuff?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The guy I spoke with said you can wash and wax your car with the film on it and it will be fine.

Nospeedlimit143 has a good point.....-quote- "but wouldn't a rock leave a little scuff or scratch on this stuff?"

Unless its highly scratch resistant sounds like that may happen.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think this sounds like crap, and a waste of money. Style TEG, this is kind of up your alley, isn't it? What do you think. IMO, I say just get some good wax, etc. and protect your car the good ole fashioned way and the way it was originally intended... by hand. This film stuff seems so expensive and like nolimit said... one decent rock and then the stuff would tear or rip or something. Kinda like if you have tinited windows and run the seat belt buckle across it on accident.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I have herd of people using it on their front bumpers, but not the whole car.

The idea is that the front of your car looks better with a translucent front cover than filled with rock chips. But because it is on your car, and no matter how translucent it is, it will effect how your paint looks since it will alter how light reflects off the surface.

As you can see here, it is visible. More so in person.

Getting it for your front bumper is not a bad idea, but for your whole car will probably end up looking pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts