Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan to keep my 98 LS sedan(purchased new) for probably another two years max. It has the typical worn clear coat, the usual door dings, and assorted minor scratches, but is otherwise stock except for H&R OE sport springs and KYB struts. I'm on the fence whether to get it repainted or not. I know if I do have it painted I won't recover the total cost when I go to sell. However I'm pretty sure it would be a key selling point and less work for me to make it presentable when the time comes to sell it. Basically what it comes down to is that I'm tired of it looking like a beater, but I'm not sure if I want to put any more money into it than I have to. All opinions are welcome(got my flame suit on just in case).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure how the market for cars looks like in California but I typically avoid repainted cars in Minnesota because here it almost ALWAYS points to body damange, rust, bondo, other undisclosed undesirables. I would just cut the clearcoat/paint with a buffer to try to restore some of the original paint and call it a day. Save the money for something more interesting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure how the market for cars looks like in California but I typically avoid repainted cars in Minnesota because here it almost ALWAYS points to body damange, rust, bondo, other undisclosed undesirables. I would just cut the clearcoat/paint with a buffer to try to restore some of the original paint and call it a day. Save the money for something more interesting.
No issues like that where I am. I would've tried to polish out what's left of the clearcoat, but the hood and trunk lid have essentially no clearcoat left. That's why I'm considering the paint job.

I agree with Absolute_Yeti. However, having dealt with body work, car sales etc. I would personally paint it. There are great deals that come and go for Maaco painting services. I had my Integra painted there for $350 (tax included). Couldn't be happier. Just my 5 cents.
Excellent point. Did Maaco do any body work (besides prep) or was that just for paint?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mine was just a 1-stage paint. I did a little body work myself to get rid of the dings and the door strips. So at the very minimum you would need to go over the whole car with 400 wet sand paper. The rest they will do for you. Even if you have dings on it after the paintjob, it would still look 100% better and attract a customer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was just a 1-stage paint. I did a little body work myself to get rid of the dings and the door strips. So at the very minimum you would need to go over the whole car with 400 wet sand paper. The rest they will do for you. Even if you have dings on it after the paintjob, it would still look 100% better and attract a customer.
Gotcha. My car is cayenne red pearl, so knowing my luck it's probably more involved (as in more $$). I'd take a stab at doing the body work myself, but I simply don't have the time to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Integra has one of the Maaco specials like what @Built_not_bought is talking about. If you are considering going that route, here's a couple items to factor in while making the decision:
1) as already mentioned, their low-cost paint jobs will not include the body work. And just to be clear, their definition of body work is very general. Tasks like taping off the rubber seals around windows is body work. Removing badges is also considered body work, and so on and so forth. Basically, they cover the windows and shoot it with some color (no clear).
2) they only paint the sections of body panel you can see without opening any doors, hoods, or trunks.
3) given number 2 above, you will have a better finished product if you choose a color which is as close to the original color as possible. Otherwise the areas that do not get painted (think door jams, engine bay, etc.) will really stand out when contrasted against new paint job.
4) It's the cheapest paint job you can get; it will behave accordingly.

That last one is a relative assessment obviously. How well my Maaco paint job has fared since application is going to be different from every other Maaco paint job. All I am saying is that, generally speaking, when you pay less than $500 for a paint job, you should not expect it to remain flawless for years to come.

Having said all that, you might get the impression I am anti-Maaco. That is not the case. I think they serve their intended market well. Need a quick paint job on a car you don't want to sink a bunch of money into? Maaco all the way. Have a beloved old family heirloom which you want to bring back to life and have it remain strikingly beautiful for when your kids are old enough to take it over? Maaco is not your best option.

As long as expectations for the finished result remain realistic, I think Maaco is as good of an alternative as any for you.

·
Super Moderator
14,150 Posts
Post above is dead on and the same thoughts I was going to post, just posted better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here are some pics to illustrate what I was talking about earlier. The previous owner was the one who got the Maaco paint job, but the best I can estimate, the paint is about 3-4 years old.

From several feet away, it still looks good if kept washed and waxed:

WP_20190606_14_28_13_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190606_14_27_57_Pro (2).jpg

But up close there are some things which the Maaco special will eventually give you once enough time has passed (except for the last one which will be immediately evident):

WP_20190606_14_29_48_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190606_14_29_35_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190606_14_29_58_Pro (2).jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts