Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm fixin up a teg for someone, and they asked me to fix a fender scuff and paint chips on the hood. Not being painting inclined (the most painting I've done is spraying Krylon black on my wipers where the honda job was wearing of). Whats the best way to fix small chips, and how do I go about fixing a scuff. The scuff is on the fender directly infront of the right front wheel on the fender, looks like a car scraped it. Its not that big, maybe 8-9 inches down the fender, and 2-3 inches out fowards into the paint. The scuff aint that deep, it just looks like its either scuffed the paint so that its lookin white, or its gone through to the primer and thats why its white. About the chips, I read a post that said to use clearcoat on the touch up paint, but when I talked to the acura dude that sold me the touch up he said that I should just fill the chip with touch up paint, since it was a "one step paint", and didnt mention clear-coat. Also, for the scuff, theres no way I can use the touch up bottle for that, I need a spray, so I was thinking of using dupli color spray and just clear coating that. only problem is that this teg is stealth gray (like a purplish black actually), and its got what I can only describe as tiny sparkles in the paint, and I'm not sure if dupli color is gonna have anything like that. Any help here would be appreciated, as I'm new as you can get to automotive painting.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
well first sanding down is needed...sand as much down as possible...then try a paint filler for your application, sand that down smooth, then primer, sand the primer, and then apply again....spray on your paint and sand that to the primer, apply paint again...apply clearcoat, sand that down to paint, and then apply again, if this doesn't help i dont know what will...i also suggest etting the paint fromm ppg or dupont for the correct paint w/flakes...dont use that dupli color in a can stuff...get a paint gun and use that.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Try using a match head to apply the touchup paint. Its alittle easier to work with.

First clean the chips with rubbing alochal. Then, if the chip is down to the sheet metal apply a small amount of primer. If not, you can skip this step.

once the primer has dried completely, slow build up thin layers of touch up paint. Make sure the previous layer is dry enough where you can layer on top of it, and not just mix the new paint with the old. once it becomes alittle higher than the rest of the paint, take a polishing cloth and put a credit card behind it. Using a quality polishing compound, slowly buff until the touchup is level with the rest of the paint.

When applying paint (whether its primer or touch up), use the head of a match and just touch the match in the center of the paint chip. What should happen, is the paint on the match should slowly seep off and fill in the chip and gently flow up to the edges. This is easier to do for chips on top of the hood than on the front.

For the scuff, try a polishing compound first. Sometimes the resins in paint can turn white when scratched, which could be why it looks white. If its not very deep, polishing it out should hide most of it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
In May some jerk off changed lanes without looking over his shoulder (I was in his blind spot). He hit my fender. I was pissed...
When I got my car repaired (his insurance covered it) I made the body shop replace my fender (even though it was just a dent, I didn't want any body filler) and forced them to repaint the front nose and hood (there were stone chips I wanted repaired).
I did some research before letting them do the work: I had the shop order a special 3M "dent-proof" paint for the hood and a special 3M flexible paint (again, another bullet proof product) for the front nose. Well, 6,000 miles later the hood and front nose look perfect. The 3M paint is sooooo much higher quality than the stuff Honda painted the car with.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
yea.. flexible paint is the shizz.. this summer i had my body shop repaint my front end with it.. the day i left my nose mask off i decided to drive on "gravel truck highway".. my hood is soo messed up..chipped up and everything.. but not the front bumper..

if u need a teeny bit of primer or anything visit your local hobby store.. they use real car paint to paint lil cars.. but you'll have to thin it out with paintthinner first.. they also sell these really handy aerosol can w/jar attached to bottom.. all you do is mix the paint in the jar and your ready to spray..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts