Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright heres my little problem...whenever i drive for a while then come to a complete stop and sit still, no gas pedal and no movement, my car starts to overheat... i dont know what to do...i wanted to tell my dad but he was flip out about so i was goin to go to you all first..whatcha think it is??

·
Registered
463 Posts
First check the coolant level. You might want to flush out the radiator. Have your water pump checked also. Make sure that not too many fins on your radiator array are bent. If they are try bending them back. Clean off all bugs and crap off the radiator as well. That's all I can think of right now. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aight thanks..i'll do that and also can i flush out the radiator by myself, if so how?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure that your fan is coming on, your relay may not be working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bet its something causing your fan for not comming on when its suppose to. Turn on you AC, both fans should be on continously. If not then its your relay. Then check the the switch on the radiator, it may be bad or just not plug in. Run your engine until its hot but not extrem. Wait and see if the fan come on, if not, then most likely its the Thermostat switch on the radiator. I could be wrong because i am not perfect.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
It might be the thermostat like 91teg mentioned.It was in my case. I could be wrong though, because I'm not certified.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i'll do what 91teg said and check the fan and secondary fan and whatnot...where is the switch on the radiator?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Here's a way to check:

When the car's running, turn your AC on and off - that should cause the secondary fan to kick on and off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
another cause could be a corroded wire, a honda/acura dealer charges 60 bucks just to clean a wire, f**king rip. this happend to my friends teg. Let me know how u make out

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright i checked my coolant and its passed max..is that bad and also how do iflush the radiator?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
take your car out to the street. get a 1 gallon or larger bucket, that can fit under your front bumper. open your radiator cap and then take out your coolant drain plug. it is on the bottom of your radiator, passenger side. let it drain. then dump it into your toilet, not the street drain. when that is done, run the hose out to your car. put your hose in the top and let it run (not super fast tho) for a while until it is coming out the bottom clear. turn off the hose, let the water drain out, plug the bottom up again, fill it slowly with a 50-50 mix antifreeze and de-ionized water.

- check your fan wire connections
- check your thermostat, I am not going to write how to do it right now.
- replace your radiator cap with a new one.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
not to bring a huge damper on this thread.. but my old prelude (i miss that car!) was overheating a lot during idle... i tried adding water, etc... but in the end.... blown head gasket..... bye bye car

and i wouldnt see why your dad would be mad... your car is at least 8 years old, this is considered "normal maintenence"

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Just wondering, how could the head gasket cause overheating? unless
-coolant in the oil
-coolant leaking out of the gasket

either one of those would be obvious wouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Just re-read my post, didn't mean to sound so condescending. I've noticed a high occurence of these gen 2 "overheating-HELP" posts. hmm....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright folks...problem solved...i went to flush out my radiator...but nothing came out. i was like what the hell so i refilled the radiator with antifreez/water and now everything is great thanks everyone peace

1 - 19 of 19 Posts