Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I need help fixxing my car. PLEASE HELP.

I was shifting from 3rd to 4th, but shifted into 2nd by accident. My tach went off the charts, and I stepped the clutch in within a second and the engine RPM came back down. I've heard all these horror stories of people bending their valves and stuff, hopefully I didn't do that. Its mis-firing in cylinder 3. Then it started to mis-fire in cylinder 3 and 4, and random mis-firing in 1 and 2. It idles good sometime, but sometimes the RPMs go up and down, sometimes almost stalls but it saves itself at the last moment. Now I need to fix it.

I've checked my compression, it ranged from 170psi to 180psi in all 4 cylinders. I know this sounds a little low, but I forgot to open the throttle body completely, so I'm going to re-run the compression test. The valves aren't bent. The valve lash was good. I put in new NGK spark plugs in.I cant think what else could be wrong with my engine. So I'm asking for your help.

Thanks in advance.'

O, I have a '99 GSR with 95,000 miles

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
How exactly is it running. I did the smae thing a while ago and bent valves. Do the proper compression check. I assume you have a GSR. If it is idling lumpy and feels like a V8 you bent valves man. You may have even spun a bearing. Is the lower end making noise? What MPH were you at in 3rd when you shifted?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
OosLoW_TeGoO on Apr/07/04 said:
ohh... sorry bout that first post of mine.. something happened to my comp and only

Hi, I'm new here. I need help fixxing my car. PLEASE HELP.

I was shifting from 3rd to 4th, but shifted into 2nd by accident. My tach went off the charts, and I stepped the clutch in within a second and the engine RPM came back down.

that came up
You can also erase your post if you want.
But if he bent the valves the compression test will be bad right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Furious94LS on Apr/07/04 said:
How exactly is it running. I did the smae thing a while ago and bent valves. Do the proper compression check. I assume you have a GSR. If it is idling lumpy and feels like a V8 you bent valves man. You may have even spun a bearing. Is the lower end making noise? What MPH were you at in 3rd when you shifted?
It idles lumpy sometimes yes. Whats the bottom end. What bearing are you talking about? I was above 7500rpm in third gear.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
That's not a GSR then.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
You most likely bent some valves or had valve to piston contact...you shouldn't drive on that engine until the problem can be specifically diagnosed.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
JustinKlemgold on Apr/07/04 said:
You most likely bent some valves or had valve to piston contact...you shouldn't drive on that engine until the problem can be specifically diagnosed.
thats the best answer we can give you.

The bottom end is the pistons, crankshaft. They have bearings, that can cause a knock if over revved like that. That is not as common as valve to piston contact. If it is idling lumpy you bent valves. Do not drive it. Have it towed and have the head removed for insepction.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
DC2Lust on Apr/07/04 said:
Both Acura and another shop said the valves weren't bent.
Did they take the head off? What did they say was wrong then. SOunds like a bunch of morons if they cant tell you what the problem is if the car is in front of them. Compression test, leakdown test, remove head. All you can do.

Check the timing, check the distributor, cap and rotor.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I don't get it...you revved past 7500??? The tach is at 8100 for a GSR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive driven like 3,000 miles like this.

The shop took the head off, and didn't see anything wrong. What are some signs of valve to piston contact. What do you mean by "knock"?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Furious94LS on Apr/07/04 said:
Quote: DC2Lust on Apr/07/04Both Acura and another shop said the valves weren't bent. Did they take the head off? What did they say was wrong then. SOunds like a bunch of morons if they cant tell you what the problem is if the car is in front of them. Compression test, leakdown test, remove head. All you can do.

Check the timing, check the distributor, cap and rotor.
If the compression is good, is a leakdown test neccesary? How do I go about doing a leakdown test.

I replaced the rotors, the cap looks good.

They said it was something to do with injectors, but I just switched them all around, and they were still mis-firing the same cylinders. I didn't want to pay them to do soemthing that wasn't neccesary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MSGBURNER on Apr/07/04 said:
Check your fuel pump, you might have messed that up.
What should I check on the fuel pump, and why? I can rev it up all the way up to redline if I wanted to(which I don't) so it must be getting the fuel it need right?

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
If you only revved to 7500, then your engine is not messed up...the redline on a gsr is 8100...get your story straight please.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
He did mention earlier that he reved to 11,000.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I said, I was above 7500rpm in 3rd gear when I shifted into 2nd gear. Which bumped the RPM up to around 11,000rpm.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts