Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, here's my situation:

first off, I have a '96 Integra SE

Now, my good friend's cousin has a B18C1 head lying around and wants to sell it to me, and here's what it's got, from what he has told me:

full B18C1 head
Skunk2 Stage 2 VTEC cams
Skunk2 valve springs and retainers
3 angle valve job
port and polish
stock or ARP bolts (he can't remember)
stock TB, fuel rail, injectors, valve cover, no IM
~12000 miles on everything

he said the guy he bought it from was making 186whp with i/h/e and no tuning and a stock bottom end.

So, what do you guys think about this setup (what I listed above is what it comes with)? What else would I need to complete the head swap? Would my current spark plugs/wires work?

I'd appreciate the input/opinions, as this will be my first foray into the more serious aspects of engine modding/tuning.

Thanks,
--Brian

·
Registered
648 Posts
How high can you rev with that head? I'm looking at a similar setup..

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You might want to get a new throttle body...or atleast P+P the one you have.

If that is a COMPLETE head (meaning intake manifold and distributor) then the only thing you need is the Golden Eagle LS//VTEC conversion kit...the head...and a few hours.

If you dont' take it....is he interested in selling....and if so for how much?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I would think about your bottom end before even considering throttle bodies.

Not only do you have to worry about is it safe to rev to vtec rpm's, but also consider the compression vs the cams.

The stock GSR cams run 10:1 compression, and you want to run 9.7:1 on skunk2's middle aggressive cam? That is going to be horribly overcammed.

Further the block doesn't have a girdle, the rods are weaker, it doesn't have any oil squirters, etc

It's not as simple as dropping the head on and go. At the minimum I would get new rod bolts, shot pean the stock rods, and get forged pistons.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, so if I were to get this head, I'd also have to look into getting the Golden Eagle LS/VTEC conversion kit, new rod bolts, shot pean the stock rods (what exactly does that mean/do?), and get forged pistons (what kind of compression should I be looking for?).

oh and I'd have to get a new ECU, right?

thanks for the help so far guys

*edit*

I briefly looked around...is this the kind of stuff I'd need and are they good prices? I'm trying to lay out approx. how much this whole deal would cost.

rod bolts
pistons (would that be a good CR and would those pistons be otherwise okay?)
and do I really need to spend $250-some on the Golden Eagle conversion kit? I was looking here and it seems as though that stuff can be acquired for cheaper...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You also need to get the GSR water pump, GSR timing belt, ACL bearings, APR Rod bolts, just to name a few.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Shot peaning is a process of removing potential stress raisers on the rods that could ultimately cause them to fail under stressfull situations (like high reving). It might be cheaper just to get forged rods, which would already have ARP rod bolts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Brian you better be prepared to spend some cash to get the setup right the first time around. I advise that thoroughly read the performance section in the articles tab. You definately need to get a vtec ecu P72 or P28 which needs to be chipped and tuned to run your new setup properly the SKS2's are aggressive and WILL NOT operate on a stock ECU. And like mentioned above your compression needs to be bumped up to at least 11.6. The stage 2's make power in the upper rpm from about 6K+rpm to 9K+ how much really depends on your build up and the tuner, i can't stress the importance of tuning. If you refer to the engine building package article you will get a good idea of what you want to do. You cannot overlook anything. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.