Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap replacement for the (crappy) OEM head unit in my 1994 LS. The problem is, I have no experience in car audio, and I have absolutely no clue what head unit to buy. There's just too many brands, choices, and options that makes my head spin.

I've decided that I just need something basic that plays MP3 CDs and doesn't look too ugly.

I'm thinking about buying the Aiwa CDC-X504MP from Best Buy for $129.99. Is this a bad choice? Opinions/experiences with this head unit are very welcome.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I got a Blaupunkt headunit from Crutchfield. Crutchfield is the best when it comes to car audio or just audio in general. they supply you with proper wiring harness and everything to install it. I have a 94 ls and they even gave me a plastic pice to replace the oem pocket that is right underneath the stock head unit,

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
lildevock on Feb/28/04 said:
I got a Blaupunkt headunit from Crutchfield. Crutchfield is the best when it comes to car audio or just audio in general. they supply you with proper wiring harness and everything to install it. I have a 94 ls and they even gave me a plastic pice to replace the oem pocket that is right underneath the stock head unit,
crutchfield is far from the best, Crutchfield is good for one thing - RAPING you on prices just like Best Buy or Circuit City, you may as well go there...

SoundDomain.com has pretty good prices and a great slelection, although they dont carry some prominent brands which i find odd...

anyway, check the common topics, and do a search, there are countles headunit threads

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm aware of the common topics and I've looked over a number of old posts. However, everyone seems to be interested in mid- to high-end stuff, and I'm just a poor student with a budget.

I don't plan on buying from Crutchfield. I posted that link for reference. I have a friend that works at Best Buy and he says he'll hook me up with his employee discount.

So, back to my original post. Is this a good head unit for the price? I just need a non-sh*tty CD/MP3 player. I haven't seen many reviews about Aiwa products, so I have no clue if their products are junk, and that's why I need your opinions.

EDIT: I checked SoundDomain, but they don't carry what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Edited by 90_integraLS at 02/28/2004 04:35:58 PM

In Reply To JustTegIt:
crutchfield is far from the best, Crutchfield is good for one thing - RAPING you on prices just like Best Buy or Circuit City, you may as well go there...

Couldn't agree with that more lol

Anyway...what features are you wanting and whats your budget then we might be able to steer you in the right direction...as far as that aiwa goes can't say yes or no...haven't dealt with them...but list some features you like and the MAX you can spend.

Later,

Jared

EDIT: Just saw that you were looking for CD/MP3 is that the only thing that really matters to you?  Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
if you catch crutchfield when they have their clearence and specials you can get certain things for insanely cheap. other than that though their regular prices are just the same as the local car audio charges...at least in my area.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In Reply To Version 4 User:
if you catch crutchfield when they have their clearence and specials you can get certain things for insanely cheap. other than that though their regular prices are just the same as the local car audio charges...at least in my area.

If you are going to pay those prices and the shop is reputable and has been there awhile I'd sure hope you went to the shop...actually be able to see the person then just some screen...you can also see the products listen/touch get a hands on experiance this way...also with that shop their revenue won't be anywhere near what crutchfields is...meaning if the shop owner is decent at and actually cares about business they'll be taking care of you down the road!

Later,
Jared

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
90_integraLS
A head unit that has CD/MP3 is crucial. An auxiliary input would be good too. I don't really care about pre-outs because I don't plan on buying an amplifier. I'm just looking for something cheap that isn't a piece of junk. I don't have a price ceiling on what I'm willing to pay per se, but I want to pay as little as possible.

So I guess no one knows about the quality of the Aiwa unit?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Edited by 90_integraLS at 02/28/2004 09:30:47 PM

Pioneer deck Best Buy

There ya go...friend has had his Pioneer deck for years...sorry can't say anything about the aiwa...I'd just stick with one of the 3 brands I've sent you and make sure and stay away from that dual crap.  but hey if you get that aiwa deck just spend the extra $40 and get the warranty and I'd do that regardless of which deck you buy and I believe they still offer the theft warranty but not sure might be worth it for you to check that out too.

Later man,

Jared

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You wanna typically look for something with good wattage output, and a display that you will like. You might want to consider going to Circuit City and look at their open box items. It might seem like you're getting something defective, but you're not. I know my friend bought this headunit for like...200 open box. Nothing wrong with it at ALL. Just an idea...

·
Registered
402 Posts
for a low end player with MP3, id personally reccomend the Pioneer 4600MP. my friend got the 4500 (last years model) and i installed it for her. it was acutally better than i expected in terms of sound quality, and pioneer is very reputable when it comes to decks. you might actually be able to find the 4500MP on clearance somewhere. the 4600MP is for $135 here.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In Reply To Version 4 User:
for a low end player with MP3, id personally reccomend the Pioneer 4600MP. my friend got the 4500 (last years model) and i installed it for her. it was acutally better than i expected in terms of sound quality, and pioneer is very reputable when it comes to decks. you might actually be able to find the 4500MP on clearance somewhere. the 4600MP is for $135 here.

Good find on that price but since he has a friend I'd still suggest he get that model from best buy...only because he'll be able to get that 4 year warranty and since you're a college student you'll be covered till your out lol

Later,

Jared

(Oh and the 4600mp is what I linked you in that last post)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.