Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know that the advantages are pretty nice...on the water injection systems. And The pump used in the kit is controlled by an adjustable, O.E. quality pressure switch with specially designed injection nozzles. I think running T's off the oil send and return to the turbo. Looks simple enough. Let me see if I can't dig up some info and get back with ya....

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am going to Norwood Autocraft tomorrow to dyno my baby now with a LS/VTEC/TURBO ! So I will ask ole Bob and see what he has to say. From all I could gather so far your right on T's at the coolant line. But we will get ole Bob the expert to advise us on all the details and get back with ya tomorrow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Okeee Dokee... From the man himself and I quote.."Why the hell would ANYoNE who is running under 20psi or 500hp put that on his car ? Its NOT needed and is total overkill !"

Bob Norwood:
Norwood Autocraft

Well there ya have it ! Bob did say you need to run it as a seperate system NOT "T" off sh*t !
Bob cusses quite alot ! *LOL*

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
asianspeed on Jul/19/02 said:
So the moral of the story is:

<20 psi only oil cooled is needed?
according to boostcontrol's mechanic. Besides, it must be a ***** to adapt the separate cooling system to our aftermarket setups, especially since we have practically no space in the engine bay to begin with

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, if that's true, then I think that's something that is important. I did not realize that, and now that I do...it's changed my perspective on things. Any other info like that would be great. :) thanks Boostcontrol and TurboLS...great article.

·
Registered
693 Posts
TurboLS on Jul/19/02 said:
P.S. Boostcontrol, i think we should add that blurb from your mechanic as a sidenote on intercoolers in our article. just a suggestion.
Done ! I think we should add to this a bit more and discuss the air-liquid side mount applications as well.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
nooo, you guys are tottally confusing this stuff! Omg, alright, so first TurboLS asks:

I have a 94 LS and was wondering if any of you had a water and oil cooled turbo. I need to know how easy it is to hook up the coolant lines to the turbo and what the best way to do it is. thanks in advance. said:
LS is talking about water cooling, not water INJECTIoN. Water cooling, as in a turbo that has oil passages inside its bearing to cool the bearing.

Boostcontrol then says:
Quote: I know that the advantages are pretty nice...on the water injection systems. And The pump used in the kit is controlled by an adjustable, O.E. quality pressure switch with specially designed injection nozzles. I think running T's off the oil send and return to the turbo. Looks simple enough. Let me see if I can't dig up some info and get back with ya....
See, boost control is talking about water INJECTIoN systems, IE spraying mist into the intake to cool down intake charge, not turbo WATERCOOLING.

From then on you both just go back and forth talking about two different things but thinking its the same lol.

Watercooling a turbo is always a good idea as it keeps temps down and greatly reduces or eliminates the neccesity for cooldown.

Water injection, like boostcontrol said, is only neccesary on big boost cars that are having detonation problems.

Lol guys, please DoNT PUT that in his article about water cooling, we dont need more misinformation.

you were both confused and going of about completely different things, "so can I tee of the coolent line?" "no its a seperate system with nozzles and stuff!" "oh, so I should just leave the water cooling disconnected" "yeah, bob norwood says so!". ;-p, funny stuff guys

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks, br1t1shguy for clearing some of that up - I was just about hitting myself on the head reading this thread until your post came up.

As far as Watercooled Turbos go (as in Turbos with a coolant jacket in the center housing) - they are commonly used in OEM Turbos and WITH GOOD REASoN!

Obviously, Turbos get very hot, and although heat is what drives them, heat can also destroy them, in that overly hot oil both breaks down (thus failing to properly lubricate) and can break through the Oil Seals, which is bad. However, by pushing coolant though the center housing, the temperatures are greatly decreased, taking much of the strain off of the Turbo and adding to it's life span and that of the oil.

In our engines, the most common way to hook this up is to put the Turbo inline with the Throttle body coolant line. This line starts on the head by the upper radiator hose, and ends at the throttle body. All you needs to do is take the line, connect the head side to one side of the turbo, and the throttle body side to the other (the coolant can flow either way though the turbo - it doesn’t make a difference), and wa-la, you're done. I've had it setup like this for months, and it works great. The Throttle body coolant passages really don't do much of anything import (some people disconnect them all together), and exist simply to heat it up to keep the plate from sticking on cold starts. So don't worry about Water-Cooling the turbo having any negative affects on the rest of your cooling system.

If you have a water-cooled housing, and you choose to NOT connect coolant lines to it, you're not going to hurt anything, and the Turbo will function like any strictly oil cooled unit (such as those that come in the Drag or MaxRev kits), you just won't have the benefits (long Turbo and Oil lifespan) that you would have otherwise. I do want to get the point across though, that "oil cooled" is really a misnomer - the oil coming in can easily absord enough heat to damage the Turbo, where as coolant simply flows though and does what it's supposed to - lower temperatures.

That said, I strongly suggest that if you have this option you take it, as if you're capable of planning and installing a turbo kit, cutting a coolant line shouldn't be even remotely difficult for you, and it really does keep your oil seals from breaking down.

Hope this all clears up the confusion of this thread. If any of you want to know more about this, I suggest you read Corkey Bell's "Maximum Boost."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts