Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use the cheapest synthetic blend oil I can find ($60/ 6 gal @ Advanced Auto). I also send oil samples of all my vehicles into Backstone (Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine) and have not had any bad contaminants in my oil. I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that always stays steady. Unless you're drag racing with some serious HP I wouldn't spend the extra money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so always go synthetic? because my dad, before i had the car, would put conventional 15w because of an apparent oil leak. idk why he didn’t just put the synthetic? and would it be bad if i put synthetic with the 15w

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
One of the benefits of a synthetic oil is increased longevity between oil changes. I HIGHLY recommend keeping to the recommended oil viscosity (oil weight) from Honda/Acura. Moving to a thicker oil like 15w due to an oil leak is a band aid to the problem. Any engine has strict & tight bearing tolerances that require a specific oil weight. Going thicker might yield results where you have metal to metal contact due to the oil not being able to enter those tight tolerances.

My recommendation: Fix the oil leak, and use the recommended oil viscosity for your motor.

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always run Amsoil signature series in mine and their manual trans fluid made my transmission feel way better and quieted down reverse aswell I order through backehodessynthetics.com

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I use 10w30. I had a leak/seep from the valve cover (which is common), so I would change the valve cover gasket every year to two years, when I would notice it again.

That aside, syn and syn blend oil is THINNER than conventional oil. That said, using a syn or syn blend will make your leak worse, not help it. On one hand, that will help you find it, but on the other, worse leak. So yeah, that's up to you. The stock motors in the integras were made for conventional oil. Syn and syn blend is only better in that it doesn't break down as fast as conventional oil.

If you are driving normally, and changing your oil when it is supposed to be changed, there isn't any reason to cough up the extra money for syn or syn blend, if you haven't considered it until now. Another thing is that going from an engine that has run on conventional all of it's life until now, to using syn or syn blend can potentially be bad for the components.

There are a lot of published studies and articles about the syn syn blend vs conventional oil discussions. I would stick with what you are currently on, but use a 10w30, until you are better informed to actually do a switch. Especially if your engine is stock, and has over 50k on it. 15w oil has its applications, but in a Honda motor generally isn't one of them. It isn't a 1974 Ford truck. -_-

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gotta clean the engine. Then add dye. They sell dye to check for leaks. Just add a small amount to oil. Run it for like 15-20 mins. Then pull out a UV light (blacklight). And you will find your leak.

You can buy the dye at any auto parts store.

Anyway, I always ran full synthetic 5w30 in my 98 LS DC4. Unless you are racing on a track, any name brand oil is just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts