Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was just wondering what oil filter should I take. I went on Kragen.com and for the purolater, there are 2 versions/prices. one is 2.79, and the other is 5.99. Which one should I get? Please help a dummie!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you go to an auto parts store - they ussually have books you can look up the car you have and find your correct filter.. most manufacturers use different part numbers for each filter, and they aren't the same across all manufacturers - so each company uses different numbers... that is kinda confusing.. let me know if i need to clarify myself

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was very clear however, under the 2001 gsr selection, it has about 7 different filter brands, and out of the 7, 2 of them are made by purolator. one of the purolator filters are more expensive. Maybe the expensive one is better? Oh yeah, what motor oil(5x30, etc.) should I use for my car?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
you live in california so i am not sure - I live in OH and i use 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic in the summer and 10w-40 in the winter... I am not sure what you should use out in CA so i will let someone who knows better give you some advice..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kricci are you sure? I use 10W40 in summer and 5W30 in winter..I think you just got up though and may have swapped those around..I use OEM Honda's too, they're not that expensive like 6 bucks you can also order them from A&H though.. A&H Motors

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
MisterGSR on Aug/23/02 said:
one of the purolator filters are more expensive. Maybe the expensive one is better?
Oy...please tell me you didn't mean that...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Oy, thats a whole different thread...

·
Registered
162 Posts
use the honda oil filter. i have no way to document this, but i have an oil pressure guage in my car, and my oil pressure shot up alot and my vtec engagement stopped bogging.i will never use a fram or anything else but stock honda or the HAMP filters (honda aftermarket parts). i think theres an oil pressure valve or something in there, that helps with the oil pressure. highly reccomended for vtec.

BTW.. use 5-30. i live in CA. i use 5-30 year round. better performance and gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
viprtwo on Aug/23/02 said:
BTW.. use 5-30. i live in CA. i use 5-30 year round. better performance and gas mileage.
It breaks down a lot quicker too, hope you're changing your oil every 2,000 miles...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
5w30 in the summer? It's going to break down quicker like I stated before...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Justin, I thought 5w30 was for all weather use. In San Francisco, summer is a dream. So, hopefully I'll be fine!? thanks! Tech, that bolt sounds convienient, hope someone answers your question 'cause I wanna know too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah your right it is thinner, but i don't think its so thin as to break down after 2k miles. the main reason why you change oil frequently isn't just because it breaks down.. its cuz it gets dirty. im pretty sure, unless you race all the time on the track, your car isn't gonna get hot enough to break your oil down. and if you race.. you change the oil anyways. 3-4k miles before a change or 3 months like honda recomends is pretty safe in my opinion. check the manual. i bet you could run 0-30 if you want and it woudln't hurt your car much unless you have over 100,000 miles. then you gotta use 10-30 or 10-40

1 - 19 of 19 Posts