Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a dumb question I know, but I'm having some trouble getting the bolt off to change my oil, the last guys that did it wrench it on a bit tight. Am I going to need a torque wrench to get this sucker off?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
a torque wrench is for getting bolts to a specific torque, it doesn't help you take hard bolts off.

What you need is a breaker bar, you can go to sears and buy one (its basically a big bar with the socket attachment on the end) or you can put a pipe on the end of the wrench you have and use that as a lever arm to get the bolt out.

I had to do that the first time I changed the oil on my teg, the guys that did it before got it on there really tight, I'm surprised the bolt didn't snap.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
actually if you have a breaker bar then try that but other wize it should not be that tight but in your case I would take some old pipe I had laying around and fir it around the wrench and use it for a longer lever. becareful please dont crack or strip the pan. If worst comes to worse and your oil filter is on that tight too , try stabbing it with a screw driver all the way threw it , turn it and should be good then. I know this sounds ghetto but I sadly have had to do the same... do what you do with what you got .

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I remember mine I had to get the impact up in there to take it off the first time, people don't understand that they don't have to be on ther verge of breaking when they put them in.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
O yeah and just for thought rub a lil fresh oil on your rubber ring on the filter and it will be nice and easy to get off next time and a good seal, dont forget your crush washer for your oil pan... specially if it was on that tight..

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Why is this in the Detailing forum?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just remember, dont put it on as tight as the last guy did. It doesn't have to be that tight. Just hand tighten it with a normal size ratchet. Make sure its tight, but if you're struggling to turn the wrench to torque it down, you're overtightening it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I remember working at a quick lube for a couple of years. The easiest way I have found is(if your right handed) put your left hand on the wrench with you palm facing you. Then hit it with your other hand a couple times and it will come loose. I have never had a problem doing this unless the drain plug was stripped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.