Team Integra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
I just got a cusco can today, has anyone heard anything about these. I already found a good mounting spot and everything. It says that is baffled internally...i hope so because it doesn't look like there is any way to take it apart to check it out.

Also i was wondering if anyone knew how to drain a cusco can or had any experience with it. From the diagrams(they are in japanese) it looks like you detach the fill meter tube and drain it that way but that seems a little odd to me.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Going to the oil pan? That sucks. I thought the whole point of the catch cans was to keep the filth OUT of the engine, not store it for later :)
When the time comes, I'm going to go with the Cusco can, as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

· Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
LOL, kelly and I have been at it over the Honda PCV sytem over on the performance forum. I think he knows what a catch can does....

for the record, the claim is you can run about 2 psi more boost on a SC without fear of detonation with a catch can. Now if you look at the Endyn setup, they have the beather hose attached to that Thompson Enginnering intake. If at WOT, the excess crankcase gases with oil vents up that breather tune and into the intake, they couldn't make that claim of an extra 2 psi boost margin, since the oil laden vapors would still enter the combustion chamber via the intake rather than the PCV valve. Just another thought to chew on.

· Registered
5 Posts
I made a pcv catch can system with the jaz tank pictured above. You remove the filer and put the pcv valve where it is. Then you cap one of the inlets. I dont like it because there is no tube to separate the oil, it should have a tube coming from where the filter is almost to the bottom of the can (on the inside). It doesnt so I think the oil can just go right out anyway. I noticed a little bit of oil in the can, but ive only been running it for 2 days. The hose I used (pvc reinforced tubing from hardware store) gets really soft and im starting to worry about collapse. I mounted it to the intake with a hose clamp (g2 integra) Ill keep you guys updated on how it works, I may try to put a tube on the inside of the tank and see if that helps at all.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Forced induction really throws some more variables into the equation! If the system is closed on a forced induction car and the breather hose is connected before the source of boost, then under boost the PCV valve side will actually shut off and all the vapor will go out the breather side. If both sides are hooked up after the source of boost it will behave like stock until boost and then the crankcase would actually be pressurized by the PCV system. If the blowby exceeds the .....
So is the main claim to fame of the catch cans IN A CLOSED SYSTEM that they do a better job of separating out the oil than the stock system or that the flow rate is better with them?
The closed system is just not designed for performance, period. Sucking back dirty, oil-laden blowby into the combustion chambers is never a good thing. An overscavenged dry sump seems to be the best way to go. Some race cars actually run a separate vacuum pump in an open system to keep the crankcase under a vacuum. Keeping the crankcase under a vacuum makes more power than it takes to run the pump. But this has more to do with improved ring seal than anything else. A good street system would be a hybrid. The stock PCV with a ... or a .....

MD - the vapors always enter the combustion chanber on a closed system, so apparently the catch cans are just doing a better job of separating out the oil and reducing the tendency towards detonation. Do you agree?

· Registered
2,246 Posts
MD -
Oh, just read your post again; it's still the direction of flow problem. If the system is closed, I imagine that the vapor coming out of the valve cover breather tube is less oil saturated than the vapor down below. If the Enydyn system is running open, then there should be very little vapor coming out of the breather since the two crankcase vents on it are so large. All the vapor will just vent out the filter on the can under boost. Are the increased boost claims for the open or closed configuration? Does the Endyn system leave the valve cover breater hooked up to the intake when it is run open? Shouldn't make much difference really. Damn these variables!

· Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
why would you think that the vapor leaving the breather has less oil in it? it comes from the crank. How is it getting diluted? it isn't. Sorry but you haven't convinced me that reverse flow is a good thing or a normal process in a Honda PCV system. Open system, closed system, WOT, partial throttle, idle, N/A, or boosted. Reverse crankcase vapor flow back up to the valvecover sucks no matter how you slice it in whatever setup.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
I figure that the crank does a much better job of slinging the oil around and creating a mist than the cams do, and since the journey from the crank to the valve cover is longer, the oil drops suspended in the air will have longer for gravity to work on them and fall out of suspension and more opportunity to bump into something and come out of suspension. Don't know for sure - just an assumption.

· Registered
5 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Ive been using the catch can for a while now, the only problem I had was the top tube (from manifold to pcv on top of can) collapsed, I just bought a stronger one. It catches quite a bit of oil, so it works good even though I dont have a down tube in the tank, I may add that and see how much more it pics up. Even if it doesnt do that much, i think it looks sweet mounted to my intake and I like the braided pvc hose. I could get some pics in a day or two if people are interested

· Registered
183 Posts
where did you find the stronger pvc hose...i've got the problem of the hose collapsing as well. I had a problem with the oil collecting in the line not the can but i figured out that the line had collapsed. I guess thats what i get for trying to figure out what was going on when the sun was almost down, but anyways finally figured it out...where did you find that stronger hose?

(EDIT:Fixed the problem nevermind)

· Registered
368 Posts
Endyn breather tank: has 2 inlets, and 1 outlet (PCV). Both inlets (according to the instructions) are intended for the block. What if you used one of the inlets on the valve cover? Like the Erick's racing 10 second car that uses the Greddy can on the valve cover. second to last picture:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/d...=10&TopicID=39339&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=2

ALso, connecting the PCV. Is better being attached to the IM or the intake piping? Which has more vaccum?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.