Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm looking for a G3 Integra, and wanted to know what the chances are that the one i find will be VTEC. Also, were there any SOHC Integra made between 94-2001?

·
Registered
256 Posts
No SOHC made.

If you are looking for a VTEC teg, you need to get a GS-R or TypeR teg. They are only available in stick shift and your are much more likely to find a GS-R than a TypeR.

You shouldn't have a problem finjding what you are looking for.

·
Registered
940 Posts
hmm now im confused, is SOHC better over DOHC? if not then why do u want one? If so, plz explain someone - i was misguided

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cjanik, which would you like, Dual Overhead Cam Shafts or Single Overhead Cam Shaft? DOHC vs SOHC (correct me if I'm wrong)
I'll keep my DOHC =)
-Ep

·
Registered
256 Posts
My guess is that he is trying to make sure he doesn't have to 'make sure' he isn't getting a SOHC because he is looking for DOHC.Just a guess...

Oh, and welcome to Team Integra! Hope to see you around Gen3Integra!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
dvcooke on Aug/27/02 said:
No SOHC made.

If you are looking for a VTEC teg, you need to get a GS-R or TypeR teg. They are only available in stick shift and your are much more likely to find a GS-R than a TypeR.

You shouldn't have a problem finjding what you are looking for.
are you sure they NEVER made the gsr's in auto. i thought they did for one or two years. Maybe the 4 door??

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks, im looking for a DOHC VTEC, not a SOHC, so a GS-R won't be too hard to find? I'm kinda pissed that my moms 98 Accord has VTEC, but i cant find a lower model Integra with one---Is there any way to add VTEC to an Integra engine?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hootb18, I am shocked! Haven't you read SurferX's history? (j/k)

Taken from his history :

GS-R: Grand Series Racing. Available in both coupe and sedan. Equipped with the B18C1 DOHC VTEC engine outputting 170HP and 128 ft-lbs. of torque. Same standard features as the GS minus the leather seats. However, leather seats ended up becoming a standard feature on the GS-R starting in 1999. Again, no auto transmission available for this car.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just to clear things up:

With a DOHC, you have one cam shaft controling (opening and closing) the intake valves and one cam shaft taking care of the exhaust valves. With a SOHC, 1 cam does both. Typically when you're dealing with a multi valve engine (i.e. 4 valves per cyl.) you're going to have a DOHC design, whereas the more traditional two valve (on exhaust and one intake valve) will be sporting just one cam shaft (SOHC).

Also, some American cars and most cars built before the 70s (unless European) were typically OHV (over head valve): these engines had the cam (just one) down below the head, and used pushrods that went up through the head to open and close the valve rockers. I think GM is one of the few companies still doing pushrods/OHVs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes, you CAN swap your engines, but it is not for the feint of heart. Better have a fully equipped shop at your disposal.

GS-R's are not that hard to find. You local Acura dealership may have some used ones on their lot right now. Leases are still being turned in, and there is teh 'pre-owned' line up as well. If not at the dealer, check the local want ads. There really are a bunch out there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah... ls/vtec... you can make it a frankenstein engine (just make sure that you research it nice and plenty before you jump in). Oh, and GSR shouldn't be too hard to find if you are willing to buy a car with a few miles, but even then, there are still plenty out there with little travel on them. Anyway, good luck and hope to see ya around-

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
DV, yeah, my 2001 GSR came with everything (even floor mats). The only options were the dealer installed alarm and the areo kit and maybe mud flaps or something. Also, I don't think that AUTOS were ever in US GSRs.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
dvcooke on Aug/27/02 said:
Hootb18, I am shocked! Haven't you read SurferX's history? (j/k)
DOH!! i deserved that one. i dont know why but something was yelling in my crazy mixed up head that i had heard of them. oh well. 40 lashes with a wet noodle i guess.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote: Not in this country. The JDM SiR and SiR-G were available in Auto if memory serves.
That's right.An Auto Integra's engine is tuned for better midrange - thus the lower redline and lower torque and power peak rpms.

A DOHC engine can be tuned a lot better than a SOHC because you can adjust both the intake and exhaust cams , i.e. you can change the intake-exhaust overlap depending whether you want more power or more torque.

·
Registered
57 Posts
By the way, the VTEC they use in 98 accords are different from the VTEC in GS-R's. VTEC in accords were engineered for good gas consumption and little bit of power whereas the VTEC in GS-R's are made for raw power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts