Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering....

i have a b16a and correct me if im wrong but thats 89-91 JDM...and thats odb0. well i have a 1999 integra (odb2) and was wondering if you could put a odb0 motor in an odb2 car? would i just need an odb0 b16 ecu and wire harness? or just the hire harness or what?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
technically, it would probably be illegal, as you are supposed to get motors that are the same year or newer, you can't really legally put older engines in cars. But otherwise, you'd probably want to talk to a shop that has done engine swaps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know its illegal,lowering your car is illegal,but that doesnt stop us from doing it. im just asking what do i need to do it? but thanks for the post

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Teg2Fast on Feb/08/04 said:
i know its illegal,lowering your car is illegal,but that doesnt stop us from doing it. im just asking what do i need to do it? but thanks for the post
Lowering our cars is not illegal. Having an aftermarket exhaust is not illegal. Swapping your motor is not illegal.

They are all legal, but they have limits. As long as you stay within the limits, then you are not breaking the law. In your case, you are wanting to do something beyond the limits, which is swapping in an older motor.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
lowering to a certain point is illegal, having a really loud motor is illegal ( i don't know the decibals off hand or how they vary state to state), but there are legal options. I will not advocate breaking the law to add an old motor. Look for a newer one, then maybe add the obd0 to it. That's another possibility.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...this thread is about odb0 motors,and what i need to swap it in a odb2 car....not about what illegal.....not tryin to be a dick,just to get bakc on topic

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Teg2Fast on Feb/09/04 said:
ok...this thread is about odb0 motors,and what i need to swap it in a odb2 car....not about what illegal.....not tryin to be a dick,just to get bakc on topic
Well you obviously don't see how they are related then. Putting an OBD0 motor into an OBD2 car is illegal.

Why do you want to do this anyways? Just because its cheaper? The law is in effect to prevent using older motors. Newer motors are okay because supposingly the newer motors have more strict emmision control devices.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont care if its illegal,i just want to know what i need to do it.speeding is illegal,street racing is illegal,spinning tires is illegal,jaywalking is illegal,can you honestly tell me you live your life by the law? 90% of motor swaps are illegal then,becasue its not rare to find an older motor in a newer body,when it comes to swaping motors.look into it...ALOT..more than you think,of motor swaps take place with an older motor...no all,but ALOT.

and no its not cheaper,i have a b16a almost ready to throw in my teg,and just becasue its illegal to swap older motors,im not going to "live by the law" and go out of my way,buy a newer motor,just to please cops.

again...not trying to be a dick,dont take me wrong,im just saying,if you (or anyone else) isnt going to answer my post becasue its illegal,then 90% of posts on this thread is "illegal" and should go on as unanswered...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
the only part that seems hard about the swap it finding a OBD2b to OBD0 jumper/harness, you'll may need to have a custom jumper/harness made

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Teg2Fast on Feb/09/04 said:
i dont care if its illegal,i just want to know what i need to do it.speeding is illegal,street racing is illegal,spinning tires is illegal,jaywalking is illegal,can you honestly tell me you live your life by the law? 90% of motor swaps are illegal then,becasue its not rare to find an older motor in a newer body,when it comes to swaping motors.look into it...ALOT..more than you think,of motor swaps take place with an older motor...no all,but ALOT.

and no its not cheaper,i have a b16a almost ready to throw in my teg,and just becasue its illegal to swap older motors,im not going to "live by the law" and go out of my way,buy a newer motor,just to please cops.

again...not trying to be a dick,dont take me wrong,im just saying,if you (or anyone else) isnt going to answer my post becasue its illegal,then 90% of posts on this thread is "illegal" and should go on as unanswered...
We don't promote it on this site because its illegal, just like street racing. Sorry for just trying to watch out for you.

Yes I know running a test pipe is illegal, but people still do it. We try to tell members here not to do it because as a site, we don't want to promote members to break the law.

If you want to do it, then do it. Don't mind what myself and others say.

And as for your so called answer, if no one answers then no one knows. We don't know everything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok,i do understand that you guys dont promote,and i do appreciate you lookin out for me,and again,i wasnt tryin to be nasty,just saying,i know its illegal,i just want to know how to do it.

and midnightkiddc2, couldnt i just get an odb0 b16 ecu,and an odb0 wire harness,and be set from there? or will i have to do some custom wiring like your saying. and if so,would a "swap" shop do this for me?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
you would need something like this to link the ECU to the wiring harness, if you get a OBD0 wiring harness that is just the engine harness not the interior ECU harness

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
in VA it is illegal to have aftermarket ANYTHING, including lowering springs of any kind and exhausts of any kind...anything other than OEM or that will pass as oem to the eyes and ears of an officer will get you a quick ticket..

also, aftermarket exhaust in VA are an "unsafe" modification therefore your insurance goes up.

i have also been told that if you get 3 tickets for an aftermarket exhaust then your car will be taken from you
what a great state i live in..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
midnightkiddc2, can you send that link,or pic again,it didnt show up,or work,atleat on my comp. if u need to,e-mail it to me at [email protected]

racinGSRstyle, yeah VA is pretty strict when it comes to sh*t like that,and i hate it. 99% of the time,a cop will pull over an import for exhaust,but v8's go screamin by and they just turn the other way.....
but as for the 3 ticket thing,its not true,ive gotten hundreds of exhaust tickets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts