Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been walking around PepBoys Autoshop around my neighborhood and went to just browse around when i came across octane boosters. Made me wonder, do they work? The brand i really got interested into was the NOS OCTANE BOOSTER for racing.....it's a shiney bottle..lolz. Well my main question is are these octane boosters useful for our tegs? If not, why...if so, why and what brand do you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Octane booster will raise your octane level, but its not going to increase performance on a mildly modified teg unless you are detonating.

Take a look at this thread for more information.
Fun Gas Thread!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at the thread but it didn't mention much about the octane booster but more on the fact about octane itself. I know that the octane booster will raise the octane level but what kind of mods do you need for this booster to see a difference in performance. I here bad and good things about them but overall anyone have data or something that would prove it's performance?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Well all octane booster does is modify the octane level of your gas. There really isn't a point where octane boost will increase your performance, it will just have better protection from detonating.

Even if you did have a situation where you were detonating, and your knock sensors were retarding your timing.. octane booster wouldn't increase your performance, just restore what was lost because of the detonation and timing retard.

·
Registered
684 Posts
StyleTeg, impressive...good post!

The issue of the engine retarding your timing is the primary reason for running higher octane...you get the most performance out of what your car is programmed for.

A search on google will reveal a great article on adding Toluene, which is already present in the gas... Toluene is an Octane booster. Too much of it is a bad thing...but I've added a gallon container every once in a while at a full fill-up and haven't had any problems.

BTW, the article says in Japan the premium grade is higher octane than here in the states...something like 96 or 97 (have to double check). I haven't been able to prove this...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
maybe its just our tegs, but in this months sport compact car magazine, they tested the new 350Z and they first testedit on 91 octane, then tested it on a 100 octane and they picked up 5hp and 2 lb-ft of torqe, which is not a lot, but higher octane on a stock car, can make a difference.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I have a hard time beleaving any of the import magazine tests.

No doubt they tested it on 91 octane, then drove till they could fill up with 100. I doubt they opened up the gas tank and drained the gas. Who knows if it was days between the two dynos, if it was at the same place, what other variables could change between the two dynos.

Its not the same as dynoing an AEM intake, then taking it off for an Injen.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
the car was bone stock on both tests, i've read about higher octane helping before, but you don't want to high of octane, i'd say a 100 is way pleanty, high octane all the time can also be bad on your fuel pump and injectors.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The owner's manual for my old '66 Ford Fairlane GT/A says to use at least 99 octane. I use to be able to mix leaded premium and unleaded premium and get close, but now I have simply retarded the timing. For the drag strip, I use 104+ octane booster and set the timing to specification, in order to get the best performance. Without the octane booster, it really detonates to the point of sounding like a bucket of marbles. BTW, this car is completely stock with 10.5:1 compression.

Yes, octane booster does work, but you have to need it for any advantage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts