Team Integra Forums banner

OBD2 vs OBD 1

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kelly 
#1 ·
Alright ive been reading some info on both , and talked to the mechanic doing my friends engine swap and he said the best thing is to get a obd1 swap is this true?i know emissions will play a factor but besides that, he was explaining more performance gain out of parts with obd1?

#9 ·
DaBoyNBlu on Sep/04/02 said:
the biggest benefit i see is that you can later get something like hondata to completely tune your car. otherwise, i wouldn't risk the anti-road-legal aspect an odb1 conversion poses.
and how is obd1 illegal? seems to me that they'd take all the obd1 cars off the road, or force the owners into a conversion to obd2

#12 ·
daNattyFatty on Sep/04/02 said:
Quote: DaBoyNBlu on Sep/04/02the biggest benefit i see is that you can later get something like hondata to completely tune your car. otherwise, i wouldn't risk the anti-road-legal aspect an odb1 conversion poses. and how is obd1 illegal? seems to me that they'd take all the obd1 cars off the road, or force the owners into a conversion to obd2

most laws aren't retroactive... just like pre-76 cars don't even have to have cats... pre-60-something card don'e hafta have seat belts... emmissions laws are just that if your car had it from the factor, it's gotta keep it, like odb2, and converding to odb1 make your car illegal, aka "for off road use only"

#13 ·
Its illegal because you can alter your vehicle in any way you want as long as you upgrade to NEWER products/ Versions--- but you cant go older-- just like you can swap a new motor into a vehicle but if you do an old motor into a newer car its illegal--- in other words a 91 b16A JDM motor into a 95 civic is a nono but into a 90 hatch is ok----but wither is ok if you dont get caught----

#14 ·
OBD II monitors the emissions systems so that problems are detected and hopefully fixed earlier leading to reduced emissions. Converting to OBD I defeats this monitoring which could result in increased emissions; therefore, it is illegal to perform this mod.
Some proposals for OBD III allow for two way communication with the DMV. If the car had a malfunction that increased it's emissions, the DMV would be notified and they would then give you a certain amount of time to fix it, or else. This also means they could monitor other things - location, speed, etc. The DMV or law enforcement could also immobilize your car if they wanted (high speed chase). Big Brother is everywhere..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.