Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator just died on my 91' integra and my buddy has one for sale off a 97' B18B JDM longblock for a good price that only has about 25k on it. only problem is its from a obd2 motor and he is not sure if will work or not. I was told that all B18 alternators are interchangable, you just need to change the connectors on them because the connectors on all OBD's are different.
Is that true, can a OBD2 alternator work on a obd-0 if the connector is changed? Has anyone ever done this before? I searched and found a good thread on putting a obd2 alt in a obd1 car, but I'm wondering how its done on a obd0 car. I would really like to hear from someone who has done it before and can tell me exactly what I need to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh? What damage would I be risking exactly? This is the first Ive heard of any danger. I know you can run obd2 alt on a obd1 motor with no problems and was assuming it would be the same for non-obd, that you just need to change the plugs. I would like to use the obd2 alternator off the jdm longblock because it only has 30k on it and will cost me a 1/4 of what I will get charged for a new non-obd one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, I know the obd2 on a obd1 works fine. There is a awesome write-up on how to switch the plugs and everything on here. So I would assume it would be the same for a non-obd motor but would like to hear from someone who has done it before and can tell me how to wire up the plugs. Like one problem I know of is my non-obd alt has 4 wires and the obd2 alt only has 3. How would I switch the plugs and wire it up correctly with one having 4 and the other only having 3 wires?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Well from a little research it seems that obd0 and obd1 alternators are the same.

Without getting too in depth, it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to put in an obd2 alternator simply because you DoNT have the correct plug to put in the alternator (unless you have an obd2 harness laying around)

It would be much easier to find the correct alternator. The only reason I did the conversion was because I was in a pinch and HAD to get the car out.

But yes, its possible to go from obd2 to obd1 and obd1 to obd0 so you most definitely *could* go from obd2 to obd0, probably using the same color chart I posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad, I dont know where I got the 3 wires from. But is the 'tremendous pain in the ass' part you are talking about just needing the plug from a obd2 harness? Because if thats the only problem its no big deal, my buddy stayed obd1 from his swap and he has the obd2 harness just sitting in his garage.

I dont see what the big deal is, it seems simple enough... swap the plug and wham, it fits. Or am I missing something? The only thing that I can see that sucks from doing this is from now on I would need to always use obd2 alternator's, but that doesnt seem like a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.