Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

First off let me say this (for legal purposes)...I am not starting this thread to be a flame fest toward Norwood Autocraft or the owner Bob Norwood...I am just simply putting my experience down in print for all to see and be aware of.

Last week my car along with 2 others were dynoed at Norwood Autocraft by Bob Norwood himself. What happened is a VERY long and detailed story but here is the important part of the story.
Car 1:
Fully built B20 turbo Honda Civic running 15psi

Car 2:
My turbo GSR running approx. 6psi

Car 3:
Honda Civic with turbo GSR motor running 6psi

Car 1 gets on dyno and can only barley break the 200hp level. Remember this is a fully built B20 running 15psi!!! We never got final numbers for this car because it ran into "problems" on the dyno. I begin to think that something is wrong with this situation.

My car gets on dyno and only puts down 178 hp and supposedly "will not boost past 6 psi".Keep in mind this is a GSR with T3/T04E turbo and it will not boost past 6 psi!??? I mention to Bob Norwood that I believe that the car should be able to easily break 200hp and he replies, "Well you see the numbers." I then mention that a stock GSR with just bolts on's puts down 150hp and that a friend of mine that has a turbo LS put down 218hp so obviously I should AT LEAST come close to that. No answer comes from Mr. Norwood.

Anyway, my car comes off the dyno and sounds like TOTAL sh*t! There was a horrible sputtering sound coming from underneath the car it had a VERY strong fuel scent. I park my car in the parking lot and come back in the shop and tell Mr. Norwood.."My car does not sound right." This is his reply.."That is because it sounds like a tuned car!" At this point my gut tells me that something is bad wrong with this situation but I don't say anything else because I am "supposed" to be in the presence of a "automotove legend". I mean after all Norwood tunes for Kenny Tran's racing team and owns over 100 automotive records right?!

Car 3 then gets on the dyno and puts down almost IDENTICAL numbers to my car and will also not boost past 6psi. WTF??? Now I am asking myself what are the chances of two cars dynoing with in 2 hp of each other...especailly when Car 3 only has 15,000 miles on it AND a larger exhaust than I have. Hmmmm. Getting interesting isn't it.....

ANYWAY, I drive the 5 mins home and my car is sounding horrible. By this time it is getting close to dark so I cannot see well to diagnose the problem yet. The next morning I drive up to VSV, my performance shop, and tell them about my experience. They also agree that something is wrong and after taking a look at my dyno chart they are absolutely amazed that Bob Norwood let me leave his shop with a chart like that. My car then goes on the lift to find out where the sputtering is coming from. To my total disbelieve we find that the wide-band O2 sensor bung is missing and as a result there is a hole about the size of a quarter in my exhaust. We put in another one and the car sounds like it good ol' self again. My mechanic Stoney asks me some questions like "Did Bob adjust your timing any?" and "Did Bob adjust you cam gears at all?" I answer no to both of these questions. My mechanic tells me that "Well he should have...that's all apart of dynoing a car!!!" At this point I know for a fact that I was screwed BIG TIME by Bob Norwood.

Now after talking the whole deal over with my head mechanic Stoney at the shop we conclude that Mr. Norwood's dyno must be malfunctioning. A phone call is made to Mr. Norwood who denies all the evidence and offers no refund or explanation. The owner of Car 3 then calls Bob Norwood himself...now granted I don't know exactly what all was said in the conversation but I do know how it ended....and that was with Bob Norwood telling the owner of car 3 to "KISS MY ASS" and then slaming the phone down on him. This is what "The Legend" Bob Norwood is really like??? I have to admit I was expecting more....

Needless to say I am still extremely angry at getting COMPLETELY SCREWED OUT OF $150 BY BOB NORWOOD and about how Mr. Norwood handled the entire situation. As a result I have to go somewhere else to get a real dyno tune with real results.

What's the moral of the story you ask?? What did I learn from all this?? You can answer that for yourself, the story speaks for itself...but this is what I learned.....

I have now lost all respect for Bob Norwood and will NEVER upon any condition recommend that anyone go there for anything.

They say that word of mouth is the most effective marketing tool and that it travels faster than anything else..............I can only hope that statement is true.

Jim

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Ask Bob if he will fine tune the areas you mentioned, as you were disappoined with what was done. That's about all you can really do when a shop does you wrong. POssibly approach by asking what he believes will allow you to make more power. See if he givies advise on tuning your car or wants to sell you parts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats the whole problem...after we brought all of our evidence to his attention and also brought up all the points that he did not do (adjust timing and cam gears, etc.) he bacame very defensive and argumentative. Even though we knew he screwed up big time, the guy with the B20 turbo running 15lbs went back the next day and received similar results which was bearly breaking 200hp!!

The bottom line is we each lost $150 and a day of work, the guy with the B20 lost $500+ and 2 days of work.

The point of this thread was just to make everyone aware of what happened to me and how I was taken advantage of by a supposed "legend" in the industy. Sometimes the people you look up to are really not what they seem to be. Unfortunately, I learned that lesson the hard way and I am hoping that other people will read this thread and not make the same mistake that I did by going to this guy's shop to dyno.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Let me add this :

Bob Norwood tunes pro drag racer Kenny Trans drag Civic....probably not for long !! I shall not say who this info comes from to protect the innocent...BUT KT's car was tuned on another dyno exactly as Bob's and on 33psi it put down 780whp on methanol ! on Bob's dyno at 43psi and on methanol is put down 800whp ! You do the math....

He knows the brake on the dyno is broken ! Here is what Bob did NOT tell anyone :

Before ski_rebel_3's car and others....KT's car was on Bob's dyno and while attempting to adjust the timing at 10,000rpms all of a sudden the brake engaged , smoke and horrific sounds are thrown from the dyno, and the $100,000 race car was thrown over the wheel spin and broke a rear strap that holds the car down, dam near launching the car through the wall and outside the shop ! I guess Bob forgot to mention that to his customers that came after KT !!!

I am VERY upset seeing how I, and VSV Performance HIGHLY recommended... my good friend ski_rebel_3 to Bob Norwood ! This is totally BS and just plain NOT RIGHT ! I stand by my source who gave me this info about KT's situation and more importantly....I stand by my FRIEND ! I have lost all respect for Bob Norwood and will NEVER recomend nor visit Norwood Autocraft ever again !

I would also like to point out a coment from Bob himself and told to ski_rebel_3 ....When asked how can I make more power...Bob replies "Hell I have no idea...if ain't a 500hp car I couldn't tell ya ! All ya need to know right there in his own words !

Peace !

·
Registered
461 Posts
dude that is sh*tty. all you can do is take it as a lesson learned. hopefully you can find a good dyno shop that will treat you right. a lot of times these big guys don't want to admit when they make mistakes and blame everything on the owner. most times people believe them because they are a big name but when they are cought by someone who knows what they are talking about they don't like it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am going to add to this story because I personally think this info is a good thing for us all to have !
No matter that it was a BAD experience for ski_rebel_3 and others. I think it says something about Norwoods attitude and LACK of customer service skills and just down right plain old BS !

After 21 pulls the first day on the FULLY BUILT B20/VTEC Civic...Thats a FULLY BUILT JG Pro Series HEAD AND BUILT BLOCK ! And it NEVER made more than 208whp on 16-PSI ! and so Bob says "I don't know what the f**k is wrong with this piece of sh*t !" It's the dam stock fuel pump it must be f**ked ! After this so-called "BAD PUMP" was replaced...back to the dyno the following day IT GOES...And it was STILL only able to hit 220whp on 9psi at 5400rpms ! Not bad, but still far, far from what this motor should/could have put down !

This car was equipped with a MSD INLINE FUEL PUMP also and 310 RC injectors, Victor X intake manifold, JG Big bore throttle body just to list a few of the motor mods this car has !

Bob still charged the customer $150 for a base run and $80 for every hour after that ! Bob's reply to these PISS-POOR results ???

"The next session will be free I have no idea what's wrong it must be the car/motor !"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dude,

I'm suprised that Bob did that. Eventually I was going to take my teg to get tuned once I added the Supercharger on it, but not anymore. Hearing this has definitely scared me away from even thinking of making an appearance at his shop. Guys, I don't know what other places around the DFW area that does good dyno's, but I'll talk with Jon about it & see if he might have some recommendations. I know our friend Andy probably has a few places he can point you guys out to. I'll post here when I find some out.

Boostcontrol & Ski_Rebel, come on out to Mountasia sometime this week if ya can or this coming weekend. We would like to see how good your cars have turned out. Also, Nick isn't driving his RX-7 at the moment, he blew the Differential AGAIN! I don't know about you, but blowing a Kaaz extreme differential is a damn hard thing to do & he is only pushing around 324hp & like 297lbs of torque.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mike....yeah DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THAT PLACE!!!!

Can you believe that bastard Norwood didn't even adjust my timing or cam gears!!!!

Stoney is hooking me up with another shop for this weekend so that is all taken care of....and this time he is going with me to do the tuning.

·
Registered
693 Posts
21st Century Muscle Car <--Owned by Lingenfelter's son in law is where we are all headed ! Same dyno as Norwood's and it's cheaper and Stoney will be at the helm tuning all the cars !!

VSV will be getting the same dyno in the near future as well !
The new/old mech VSV has now taught Stoney and Vance all they know on imports back when they were learning !
An excellent addition to an already great team !

·
Registered
457 Posts
we have a good one in baton rouge but thats kinda far to drive when i get off my ass and mod my car some i will throw it on there lol but i am sorry about your luck and i though more of this guy until i heard this

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cool deal guys that Stoney is taking care of y'all. My friend Andy & Pat went to that shop this last weekend to see the muscle car tunings goin on up there. He said though, that the people driving the cars on the dyno were not all that great though...one lady had a Z28 Automatic with a 4800 stall converter & those guys didn't seem to know how to drive that car on the dyno, cause they just about launched the car off the dyno into a wall. Hope Stoney will handle your cars all the way & none of those other guys. I wouldn't trust em.

Oh, & by the way, we ain't meeting at Mountasia anymore...That place got bought out & the new owners didn't even give us any warning before having 6 cops up there harassing us & telling everyone to leave. For the time being, we are gonna meet up at the old movie Theatre off of Park & Ohio till we can figure out a more suitable place that won't kick us out of there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep Stoney is going to do all the tuning this time. The guys that run 21st Century Muscle Car are just donating the dyno for our use so they will not even get to sit in my car! Trust me I learned my lesson already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts