Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm picking up this 98 teggy mostly because they look good and the parts are supposed to be easy to find. It has 220k miles and I know I will need to swap the motor real soon.

I attached a screen shot of a motor I think I want. I did some research and this will be one of the easiest swaps and it's better then my current motor.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah so the catch 22 on a lot of those JDM engine sites is the warranty is only good if a licensed Shop does it ;)

If you're looking for 200hp, look up LS-V (or LSV) swaps. It's the bottom end of a LS engine(B18b1) which you already have, and the cylinderhead of a Vtec (B18C1?). based on what i've read on the swap/build it's one of the easier/less expensive swaps. Regardless of which engine you swap in you will probably need to get the minimum of a matching OE/Chipped ECU, possibly some wiring harness swaps or splices(don't do this), engine mounts, possibly a different radiator depending on the swap. etc. etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are saying stay with engine I have now or get a new one of the one I have now but just change the top for a VTEC head? I figured the b18c will be an easy swap since it's not that far off a b18b. I just know right off the back it's about 20 more horsepower at least

·
Registered
689 Posts
Installing a VTEC head maybe a more affordable route than replacing the complete long block. You would need either B18C1 or B16:

1. Complete cylinder head (around $700 shipped on Ebay).
2. ECU
3. Aftermarket external oil feed line
4. Aftermarket LSVTEC dowels
5. Head gasket
6. Complete intake manifold
7. Throttle body
8. Distributor
9. Spark plugs and wires
10. New oil and filter
11. Aftermarket oil plug for the cylinder head, as part of LSVTEC conversion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I appreciate that but I'm worried about the high mileage on the current motor. That's why I wanted to swap the engine eventually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks I appreciate that but I'm worried about the high mileage on the current motor. That's why I wanted to swap the engine eventually.
These cars are 18+ years old now. it's going to harder and more expensive to try to find a low mileage engine as time goes on without having to rebuild it anyways. Hell I wouldn't trust low mileage engines any more than i would a high mileage engine just because it meant that engine sat A LOT. If it's worth swaping the engine, it's worth doing it right the first time through.

10K a year for a min of 18 years is 180K
on an engine with only 60k miles for a min of 18 years is around 3300 miles a year. barely an oil change interval.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably should of talked to more people to learn more. I just want to make it a reliable back up to my daily for now. Maybe add more power when every I have the money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
Mrsteve14
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing